No widget menu available. X5 II Android TV box

A

AC Question

Hi,

I just bought a X5 II Android TV box, the main reason for me was to use it as a "info board" showing a bunch of widgets on the different homescreens.
But when I got into the app menu, the usual tab where you can see available widgets there was none to be found (?)

I tried to use different launchers to see if they would make it possible to access widgets, but that hasn't worked either.
So I assume the reason for me not being able to use widgets is laying deeper.

Would be thankful for any suggestion how I could get around this issue and be able to use widgets on this box.
I would be happy to have a clean Android installation as well if someone knows how to achieve that.

Thanks,
Bundi

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What version of Android is it running? On most recent versions, you access the widgets by long-pressing an empty part of the homescreen, then choose Add Widget.

Bundi71

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply and suggestion.
The box is running Jelly Bean now. I have tried your suggestion previously and do a long-press, but it doesn't bring up any option to add widgets.

The pre-installed customization didn't for instance allow long-press on the app icons to bring them to the home-screen either, but with the Apex and Go launcher that is working.

But in neither of these launchers I have the possibility to add any widgets, hence my suspicion that this lack of possibility to add widgets is laying pretty deep in the system.....

Best regards,
Bundi

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's a basic function of Android, so it's odd that you wouldn't be able to do it. How do you manipulate things on the screen? Is there a mouse? Can you pair a bluetooth mouse or touchpad?

Bundi71

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
It comes with a IR-remote which is not much of use. I have a normal wireless keyboard with trackball connected now which works fine.
It is also possible to use a bluetooth keyboard / mouse with it.

Bundi71

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes it does, I have tried that. It equals the "back" button in function when you click it. So no luck there.
I´m trying to add a screenshot from one of the manufacturers of this box (Tomato), here you can see that the usual widget menu is missing.

Thanks!

Attachments

• TomatoScreen.jpg
    TomatoScreen.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0

Bundi71

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Solved it!

I thought I had tried all possible combinations, but after a long press with the left mouse key on the home screen a menu came up for the Apex launcher, and there I finally had the widget menu.

Thanks for getting me on the right track (I'm still puzzled why the original customization has made it so hidden though.....)

Now all I need is an app to simulate sweeps so that it can cycle through all the home screens with widgets.

Thanks,
Bundi

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira