Google Play store app video always flips to landscape

anon(730457)

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I tap to watch a video in the Play store (such as an app demo), it always flips the video to landscape, and I'm seeing no option to disable or change this. It uses the YouTube app but if I use the YouTube app by itself it uses whatever orientation the phone is already in. If the phone is docked and unplugged, I can flip it but this is annoying, and if it's plugged in I can't flip it because the dock is not designed that way.

Is there some option or gesture I can do to have it flip back to portrait or whatever orientation I'm in?

I've already got auto-rotate disabled in Display settings, which works fine, but it's ignoring that.

Also, I couldn't find a Google Android group forum to post this or feedback... it seems there should be some place to complain about it to Google to get it changed. The iPhone automatically uses whatever orientation you're in, I don't see why Android shouldn't.

anon(730457)

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I discovered it works on my Droid RAZR MAXX (which has the stock version of the YouTube app and hence an older version) if I rotated it sideways then back to portrait, when then showed it as being in the YouTube app (just FYI). It absolutely will not work in portrait on my Moto X with the latest YouTube app, so I blame Google and YouTube for this stupid decision. Strangely it only ignores portrait orientation coming from the Store, not when I open the YouTube app directly.

The iPhone (and iPod touch) of course just plays it in whatever orientation you're in (no matter what the video player), so Google kneecapped themselves here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary