Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Sprint, Samsung Galaxy S5 - Display tearing/flickering and shutting down

Hi! I've had my S5 for a couple weeks now and love it, but just an hour ago it started acting up. I was playing a game on it (Threes), and very slightly the display began to "vibrate." I thought it was part of the game at first, but it got worse and worse over ten minutes. When I closed the game, the problem persisted and got much worse much quicker on the home screen. It's like the display was constantly trying to vertically resize itself, introducing artifacts as it got worse. Ghost images started to persist if I scrolled the notification bar down. I rebooted the phone and on the fingerprint unlock screen the issue resumed, as bad as before if not worse, before completely locking up and causing the phone to shut off. I've tried pulling the battery, no luck. If I'm quick about it, I can still scan my fingerprint and then quickly press where I know the Chrome shortcut is; not having the home screen up causes the issue to be much less severe, so I think the problem may be with TouchWiz or whatever the Samsung UI is. I just now managed to get it to emergency mode, after frequently turning the display on and off to keep it from freezing and guessing where to tap to go through the emergency display mode prompts. The screen is still flickering but it's not very severe now, as long as I don't press anything.

Default Re: Sprint, Samsung Galaxy S5 - Display tearing/flickering and shutting down

Welcome to Android Central! Sounds more like a hardware defect to me. You could try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the system cache partition: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 5 | T-Mobile Support. But if the problem persists, bring it to your wireless store, show them the problem, and ask for a replacement.