Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stopping an App. vs. Force Stop? Still Running?

I am new to AOS, but after rooting and debloating my SGS5, I am in love with this phone and AOS!

Anyway, I'm just curious and have a question.

When I select the two interlocking square icon on my phone (bottom left hand corner), I can stop and app. from running. Saying that though, even if it states: No apps. are running ---- if I go into that app via settings, it still allows me to select Force Stop. If it's not running, what am I stopping through this "Force" option? If it's not running, then why does it appear that it may still be taking up a small bit of RAM?

Thanks smart people!

Global Posts
    7,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Stopping an App. vs. Force Stop? Still Running?

The recent app menu is a list of recent apps, which are not necessarily running apps. There are apps that are running that are not in that interface and there are apps in that menu that are not running.

As far as trying to free up RAM, that's a very counterproductive measure in Android. Force stop should only be used on apps that are misbehaving and there is no need to close or force close apps when not in use - Android handles all of that dynamically and automatically.