SD card as default storage memory

A

AC Question

Hi
I recently bought a Huawei Y220-U00 phone, running on Android OS.
My problem is that, I can't locate the setting where I can set the external SD card as my default memory on the phone. Now, the phone keeps notifying me that there is no enough memory for anything else, even opening emails, viewing whatsapp messages etc.
My SD card is virtually empty, yet I am told there is not enough space.

Please help.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Recently? On KitKat?

My problem is that, I can't locate the setting where I can set the external SD card as my default memory on the phone. Now, the phone keeps notifying me that there is no enough memory for anything else, even opening emails, viewing whatsapp messages etc.

It means there is not enough space on your internal SD card.
Under KitKat Android (= Google) has made storage of user-selected files on the external SD card impossible. Because they want you to store YOUR data in THEIR cloud so that THEY have much easier access to YOUR data!

Vishal Jawair

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Please help.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's actually a security measure - for those who "bring their own devices to work". If you can't store company files on an external SD card, they can keep control of the files. (Not really - it only works if the owner of the phone knows very little about computers, and makes more work for the rest of us. It's like using dirty tissue paper to make locks.)

You can format the SD card (or a partition on it) as ext4 and use it to move parts of some apps to it, freeing up some internal storage space. (There's an app that's supposed to swap internal and external storage, but since I have 32GB of each I haven't tried it - even if it works, I wouldn't gain anything.)