Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hello! I'm new to Android...

...and I'm looking for app recommendations. Got a Galaxy S4 Mini a week ago. I like it, but I'm still getting used to it. I'd like to see what you all think are the best bets for the following list (free is preferred, of course):
    • Task Manager
    • Simple memo app (I'd especially like to categorize notes and to password-protect some - "S Memo" seems ok, but doesn't have these)
    • Is there one that saves directly to Dropbox or Box.net?
    • Wallpaper manager (especially one that auto changes at regular intervals)
    • Weight tracker (Just basic weight, with quick graph)
    • Vidcast/Podcast player (I'm trying "Podkicker" right now)
    • RSS Reader
    • Car mileage (nothing fancy)
    • GPS car locator (are any stock apps capable of this?)
    • Internet Radio (especially with multiple alarms, sleep function, and manual adding stations - I'm trying "Online Radio" right now. It's good, but only has one alarm)
    • Quickly check MLB and NHL scores/schedule/standings. I have MLB.tv and ESPN SportsCenter, and they're fine, I was just looking for something even simpler to quickly check scores.
    • Games: Backgammon, Solitaire, Freecell, Pyramid, Spider (currently trying "Solitaire Classic" and "Backgammon Free" -- OK, but no pyramid)
    • System: Battery app (the stock "Battery Manager" is ok, but I'd also like something that measures the battery health, not just the charge time), IP Proxy (I'm trying the "Network Preferences Add-on" in Firefox - but I'm not thrilled with using Firefox), File Manager (nothing fancy -- is there anything better than "My Files"?), Lastly, app to quickly disable sleep function when needed.

I hope this list isn't too long! I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Global Posts
    22,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Hello! I'm new to Android...

Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    ...and I'm looking for app recommendations. Got a Galaxy S4 Mini a week ago. I like it, but I'm still getting used to it. I'd like to see what you all think are the best bets for the following list (free is preferred, of course):
    • Task Manager
    • Simple memo app (I'd especially like to categorize notes and to password-protect some - "S Memo" seems ok, but doesn't have these) I like Google Keep
    • Is there one that saves directly to Dropbox or Box.net? Do you mean a memo app?
    • Wallpaper manager (especially one that auto changes at regular intervals)
    • Weight tracker (Just basic weight, with quick graph)
    • Vidcast/Podcast player (I'm trying "Podkicker" right now)
    • RSS Reader
    • Car mileage (nothing fancy)
    • GPS car locator (are any stock apps capable of this?) Coming soon (if not already) to Google Now
    • Internet Radio (especially with multiple alarms, sleep function, and manual adding stations - I'm trying "Online Radio" right now. It's good, but only has one alarm) Spotify or Play Music
    • Quickly check MLB and NHL scores/schedule/standings. I have MLB.tv and ESPN SportsCenter, and they're fine, I was just looking for something even simpler to quickly check scores.
    • Games: Backgammon, Solitaire, Freecell, Pyramid, Spider (currently trying "Solitaire Classic" and "Backgammon Free" -- OK, but no pyramid)
    • System: Battery app (the stock "Battery Manager" is ok, but I'd also like something that measures the battery health, not just the charge time), IP Proxy (I'm trying the "Network Preferences Add-on" in Firefox - but I'm not thrilled with using Firefox), File Manager (nothing fancy -- is there anything better than "My Files"?), Lastly, app to quickly disable sleep function when needed.

I hope this list isn't too long! I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    Welcome to the forums.
    My suggestions are in red.
    Can you clarify on Task managaing?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    22,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

By the way, have you said hello in the Intro forums?
    Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Create your own thread and say hello!

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the suggestions! And yes, I will go to the intro forum.

Posted via Android Central App