Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default A lockscreen with the best of all worlds?

I’ve recently got my first android phone (Galaxy S5) after using iphones for years and am enjoying the customisability – when it works! I’ve tried out a number of lockscreen apps and the only one that actually seems to work all of time as it should is Cover. A lot of the others I’ve tried (including Go Locker, Locker Master, Start, Locker Pro and My Locker) seem buggy, and in particular unlock the screen by pressing the recent apps hard button.

Cover works well by complementing my choice of lockscreen security – I use the fingerprint scan but set it to only come on after 30 mins, so I can generally access my phone quickly without worrying about pocket dialling, while still providing security if its lost or stolen.

Also, Cover seems to be the only lockscreen that integrates with all music and audio players, displaying simple controls for whatever I’m listening to (podcasts through BeyondPod player, music through Spotify or the stock Music player) and opening that app by swiping the icon.

Problem is I’m not really a fan of Cover’s system of modifying the apps that can be launched from the lockscreen depending on what it ‘learns’. I’d like to be able to set up certain apps that I know I can always launch the same why from the lockscreen. I really like the app launcher Start has (a kind of wheel that you tap and hold which brings up the apps, which you launch by sliding to the icon and releasing). But Start has the problem of unlocking by the recent apps button, a non-fully integrated audio player, and inability to customise the location of time and date on screen.

I also suspect Cover might be a bit heavy on the battery use – I like the idea of having different wallpaper images depending on where you are and the time of day, though this wouldn’t really be worth it if its draining battery by continually checking GPS and wifi.

Cover also doesn’t have on screen notification which an app like LockerPro handles really well (but has the same problems as Start).

So in short I’m wondering if there’s an app that provides a lockscreen that:
    Actually locks the screen
    Integrates with any audio player
    Provides convenient shortcuts to launch apps from the lockscreen
    And ideally displays notifications and is customisable as possible.
    Surely not too much ask, right? (!) Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Default Re: A lockscreen with the best of all worlds?

Same issue here. Was really enjoying Locker Master until I figured I could pull the notification bar, access settings and uninstall apps or launch play store and open any app.
    Cover works the best, staying "above" the phone unlock, but the order of the apps switches nearly every single time.

Welcome to Android Central! You've tried WidgetLocker?
    Daniel Coimbra likes this.

I have not. It seems nice, but I am not willing to pay for it at the moment, especially since Cover does a good enough job if I take the extra half-second to register where what I want went.
    Will keep it in mind if I change my mind though, thanks.