Remove security Update Failed on Verizon Galaxy S5 for rooted phone

A

AC Question

Hi... I recently rooted my Verizon S5 phone, but Verizon has a security update which I don't want any future notice on ever again. It fails to download anyway... it there an apk or app I can uninstall to get rid of this?

Thanks in advance

Bronson

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I keep getting this as well. I've unchecked the auto update. When the message pops up, I'm give the option to install now or later. Either option I pick, it will either retry then or it repeats later. Any ideas?

leetrade

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The "uncheck auto update" does not work, even after the update is failed. I have been using Titanium Backup to freeze certain programs. So far, no luck. I get the feeling I have to clear my security cache. I have even tried CCleaner. Any of ideas of either what programs I need to freeze or if I need to clear my security cache?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you install Xposed, and the Notify Clean module, it should, when you're showing the "security update" notification, show that notification as one to not show. Select it and, even though the phone will get the notification, try to download the update and fail, you won't see the notification.

leetrade

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
That sounds like a decent work around, however the Xposed installer warns that I don't know what I am doing or not familiar with a few named tools, I shouldn't install it. Although they are downloaded, I stopped the installation process when I received that warning. Any advice or alternative solution? Thanks...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are Xposed modules that can really mess up the look of the phone. (The damage isn't permanent, because the whole idea of Xposed is to change things at run time, not in the apps as they're stored in the phone.) But about the worst you can do with Notify Clan is kill notifications you really do want, and that's as easily fixed as just turning that notification off in Notify Clean, or unchecking Notify Clean and not blocking any notifications at all.

I haven't found anything you can permanently ruin with an Xposed module - Xposed doesn't work that way. (At very worst, you uninstall the module, then uninstall Xposed, and you're back to where you were when you started.) It's not like rooting or flashing a ROM, that can brick the phone or leave permanent marks. If you don't like what Notify Clean does, turn it off (uncheck it). But if you like what it does, look at the Xposed site and you'll find a lot of modules for things you may never have thought of, that might be nice to be able to do. And, again, none of them make permanent changes to the phone, they just change the program when it's running. (The app sitting in storage, which is what gets loaded every time you run the app, never gets touched.)

leetrade

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The Notify Clean did not work, but in trying to eliminate it I found the name of the update causing the update - sdm1.0. I searched that in Titanium Backup and froze it. The notice is gone (for now). But I'll check in if I encounter issues by freezing that module. Thanks again.

junglists80

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
To remove, download root app delete from the play store. Give it root permissions. Go to system apps within the new app downloaded. Use junior mode, as a safety precaution. Find sdm disable it, find security policy update disable it. You should be good now. Under settings, the software update should not even be an option now near about phone.

junglists80

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Go to the app store and download root app delete. Give it root permissions. Open app. Go to system apps. Select junior mode, for safety. Find "sdm" disable it. Find "security policy update" disable it. You may need to restart, but the software update button by about phone under settings should have been removed.