Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By belodion
  • 1 Post By Javier P
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Can you help with the Moto G ?

Hello Forum
    I have just bought the Moto G (3g 8G)
    Today it used all our credit 20euro and got quite hot when doing nothing except sitting in my wifes bag, so after a google search it would seem that it was busy on the internet (?) or syncing mail over and over.
    I am new to this format having a windows phone myself so it is a learning curve for sure. I have disabled most things so it will not eat the credit for now but if you can advise further it will be appriciated.

Exchange used 387 MB ...............just what is this mail system and the data scale shows that this used most (I assume today) in fact the yellow bar graph goes right across.
    Facebook used 751MB
    Google services used 339KBAndroid OS used 166KB
    Modem States Ser used 224B

I have disabled on the phone.
    Live wallpaper.
    Basic daydreams.
    Browser message.
    Exchange services.

Thoughts appriciated.

Default Re: Can you help with the Moto G ?

Welcome to Android Central! Various apps and services may sync in the background if you let them. If you disabled Exchange Services, I assume you don't use the stock Email app--do you just use the Gmail app, or perhaps Yahoo Mail? If you don't use the stock Email app, disable that as well.

For most apps that sync with the cloud, you can usually adjust the refresh interval. A frequent refresh interval means more data usage over time. Most people don't really need an app constantly refreshing--especially Facebook. Open Facebook, go to its settings, and change the refresh rate to a longer interval, or Manual. If it's set to manual, you can always refresh things yourself by swiping down. Check other apps for settings like this.

Another thing you can do is control when you want the phone to Auto-Sync apps. Use the Power Controls widget bar, or one of the many 3rd party sync widgets, to toggle sync on or off. I like Power Toggles.

Finally, you can also turn mobile data on or off, which is what I do. I usually don't need mobile data on constantly, so I keep it off until I need to use it. When I need it, I tap on the mobile data toggle on Power Toggles.

I had an unwelcome experience when I was new to phones and without realising it did something that used a large amount of data and credit. If I had gone to Settings, Mobile Data, opened that, I could have set both a warning and a limit to mobile data usage. You are welcome to learn from my mistake should you care to make that adjustment in addition to B. Diddy's recommendations.😯

Posted via Android Central App
    B. Diddy likes this.

And check the settings in the play store. Make sure it doesn't auto update when on mobile

Moto G from ACF
    B. Diddy likes this.

Thanks for the replies & I will take these on board.
    BTW I tend to use a hotmail account as my default but do have a google account as well, well seems like I am forced into this by them as so many things are owned by them now.

I will see how I get on and report back.