How do I stop the native Backup/Restore function in KitKat from backing up WiFi settings?

A

AC Question

Hi Guys,

First off, a little bit of background. I used to carry a Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T's network. I ported my number over to Verizon and upgraded to a Galaxy S5.

Here is the problem. AT&T use the 'attwifi' SSID for their access points that are scattered around the US. These are designed to be used by AT&T customers, and are protected, pre-configured wireless networks on AT&T smartphones. On my AT&T S3, I choose to back up my data using the 'Backup and reset' option under settings. When my data was restored to my Verizon S5, it brought over the settings for this wireless network. The network is useless to me now that I am on Verizon's network. I have tried to forget the network but it fails to do so (I've learned that this network is not removable without root permissions).

In lieu of not being able to remove the network without rooting the phone (it's my work phone and our admins frown upon such activities), is there a way of stopping the backup and reset function from backing up WiFi networks? I know I can disable the backup and reset functionality completely, but this isn't really the option I would choose as I have other data that is being backed up.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, to stop it, you can try this: uncheck the feature in settings>backup and restore. Then you would have to do a reset.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995