Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aglet
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GPS Navigation Without Internet Accesss

How do I find an android app for my tablet that has no Internet access when I am in my car? All navigation apps I have tried give me an error message: "No Internet" I have an HP Slate 8 Pro. It as excellent GPS.

Global Posts
    9,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Default Re: GPS Navigation Without Internet Accesss

Welcome to Android Central
    Unfortunately, if your device has no internet connection it will not be able to use any maps/navigation apps.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Tom Tom claims it will work offline, but it costs $43.46. I'd like to know if anybody can confirm it or any of the others that claim to work offline really do.

Not sure if it will help as a free sort of workaround but have you read Jerry Hildenbrand's recent article about this? How to save a map for use offline in Google Maps | Android Central

Note in particular his observation "If you start navigation while you are connected, and both your location and your destination are saved in an offline map, you can get started then turn off data and still get directions."

I'm thinking this may be of no use to you but hey it could be worth exploring.

EDIT: Also read the comments below Jerry's article; could be something in there that helps, after you sort through all the negativity chaff!
    UJ95x likes this.