Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Question Looking into the Android world from the sidelines

Hey, I have a question that I hope some of you can answer. I'm looking to switch over to the Galaxy S5 for verizon(from apple) and was wondering if I could use this in Italy? I was hoping to use a local sim card once I got there. I know for me(iphone and verizon) I couldnt switch out the sim. any help in this would be great. Im hoping to get a phone that I can use an Italian sim card so I'll have data, without giving up my firstborn or selling my soul lol. Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Looking into the Android world from the sidelines

You can, but there's a catch: If you're getting a carrier-branded phone, chances are it's not unlocked. This means that any SIM card that's not from the original carrier, will not work. You can ask your carrier to unlock it or you can try to do it yourself through many of the services available for that (but at your own risk).

Or if you get an unlocked phone to use with Verizon, then it should work in Italy by only swapping out the SIM card. I just used my Note 3 in China that way.

The Verizon s5 is factory sim unlocked, and can be used domestically and internationally on gsm networks. It doesn't contain all the bands, meaning you might not get 4glte or even 4g. You might be limited to 3g or even 2g on international gsm networks, depending on the carrier.

The Verizon iPhone 4 didn't have gsm, but the Verizon 4s had gsm, which could be unlocked by Verizon (i did this before). The Verizon 5,5c,and 5s is factory sim unlocked, and has a lot of lte bands used by international carriers compared to the Verizon s5.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3
    SpookDroid likes this.