Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SpookDroid
  • 2 Post By Rukbat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Help! Emergency! Can I reverse remote wipe by device manager?

I thought my phone was stolen and used Android Device Manager to wipe the phone. Vodafone had already turned it off by then, and it said the device was offline but as soon as the phone is back online all data would be wiped
    Now it seems the phone has been handed in and as it wasn't fully backed up I'd really, really like to reverse it somehow before turning the phone back on...any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance if anyone can help

Default Re: Help! Emergency! Can I reverse remote wipe by device manager?

I'm really not sure about Device Manager on whether it can cancel the request or if the request remains active for a while even if the phone is not online. But what I would do is remove the SIM card, power the phone back on and just to be safe, do this where you know there's no WiFi. That way your phone will turn on, let you back it up, but never be online for it to receive the wipe command. And then at least you have your backup.
    Rukbat and Golfdriver97 like this.

Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I doubt it. Maybe, if you can kill the cell radios before the command get through, but I don't know how much time you will have.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I doubt it. Maybe, if you can kill the cell radios before the command get through, but I don't know how much time you will have.
    This.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    6,059 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Taking out the SIM card effectively kills the cell radios, since the phone can't connect to the network. It doesn't matter why it can't connect, as long as it can't. (And from my limited experimentation, ADM doesn't work over wifi, only over mobile data, but I'd still go where there's no wifi the phone can connect to, even if I had to disconnect my router from the modem (or shut the router off) for a while.