Samsung Galaxy S4 Cracked Screen get very hot

A

AC Question

I'm not exactly sure how my screen got so damaged as I didn't drop it but it appears something caused multiple cracks to stream from the upper left corner. When I talk on the phone for longer than a couple of minutes (say 5+), the phone starts to radiate a lot of heat from the screen side; does anyone know if cracks can cause any health dangers?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I have a friend with a cracked shattered screen, and she's been using it like that for months. Seems fit and healthy.
I don't see what health risks there might be that would be caused by shattered glass...or was there something specific you had in mind?

Posted via Android Central App

Wolfecat

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
No specific concerns, it just gets super hot and since it didn't do that before it cracked, I just wondered what else might seep out along with the heat. I'm not real detail oriented when it comes to the mechanicals of the devices I use. I was about to purchase a good headset so I didn't have to deal with the heat (very hot) when it occurred to me that I ought to ask if their was anything to be concerned about when using a phone with a cracked screen. Thank you for the reply.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Whatever caused the screen to crack (it doesn't have to be dropped - pressure on that corner could do it, and pressure ON the corner seems likely if the cracks are radiating out from the corner) could have caused internal damage, which is causing the excessive heat. You might go on using the phone for a few years with no problem except heat (and possibly excessive battery drain - the heat is coming from somewhere and the battery is the only power source in the phone), or the phone could fail (totally - as in even with a fully charged battery it acts as f there's no battery in it) after a week. It all depends on what's damaged and what damage the heat is causing.

Your only choices are use it until it fails (or, if you're lucky, until it's so old that it's worthless) or bring it into a repair shop and get an estimate.

ARBaker1

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S4 got very Hot, Screen Cracked and stopped working

I sent my phone into Samsung for overheating and they replaced the charging port. Two weeks later, it overheated again and the phone stopped working. When I took it into my carrier, it was still extremely hot and we noticed at that point that the screen had cracked. I sent it back in for repair and Samsung is insisting that it is due to Abuse! Neither the outer screen or phone have a scratch on them and my carrier actually stated that the inner screen crack was probably due to the heat. Anyone else???

Nadine Edsall

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a refurbished Galaxy S4, I started with the S3 and they both get very Hot which is why I traded up. Tonight I notice a Crack all the way across the center of the phone coming from within. I am not happy with this, and I really hope I get treated fairly in this whole deal I am still under warranty and will be calling tomorrow.