Not enough storage after update

U

Unregistered

Dear people,

After my ASUS memopad hd7 updated i keep getting the message there is not enough storage available when i try to update apps via the play store. There is over 300mb available on my internal memory and plenty on my sd card. This is what i tried so far but nothing helped permanently.

-clearing the cache
-having most apps copied to my sd card
-made a new account. This solved the problem that i could not connect to the play store at all. After this I was able to update two apps manually until i got the storage problem error again.
-removing data and updates playstore.
-trying a fix involving deleting some stuff from the data folder, but on my device this folder is already empty.

So concluding, i have no idea what to do next. Please help me out!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! 300 MB of internal storage actually isn't much, and it may be close to a preset threshold that triggers the low memory warning.

Try booting the device into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition. Follow these steps, but instead of selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset, make sure you select Wipe Cache Partition. When it's done, select Reboot System Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMTzwG1IOcc

Also, refer to this guide and see if any of the tips help: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

Benjamin Jo

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I tried what you proposed and i was able to update 3 apps before getting the same message. It seems i need at least 450 mb to update an app. Before i only had this problem when i had less than 50mb of free space. Can this threshold be decreased?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Rooting the phone installs at least 2 files, taking up space. It doesn't increase space. There are ROMS that use the SD card as "internal" space, so you can put in a lot of space, but you'd need to find one for your tab and iflashing a ROM voids the warranty.

About the only other option I can think of is an app called Android sdcard external 2 internal, which is supposed to swap the internal and external partitions, so you use the SD card as internal storage. Since I have the same amount of each it wouldn't do anything for me, so I've never tried it, but it's free so you might want to give it a try.

BTW:

1) "Moving an app" to external storage usually doesn't save much. Only parts of most moveable apps (and most aren't moveable) can be moved. Adding the link to the moved parts eats most of what you "saved".

2) The only time you'll see anything in the /data folder is if the phone is rooted. The folder is owned by root and is only readable by the owner. The folder could have gigs of data in it, but all you'll see is an empty folder if you're not rooted.