How to store app data on external sd card

Irtesam Zaidi

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
My phone is rooted.It is Android 4.2.2.I want to store large games like modern combat 4 on my external card but MC4 will not read the obb data on my external card.How do I make it use the obb from external sd card?I have heard of link2sd but i don't know how to use it.Can anyone tell me how?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Not every app supports moving to the SD card. Even some of the ones that do only allow you to store small amounts if the data there.

An app like link2sd or app2sd would be no exception, and you'd need to be rooted to use it anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Irtesam Zaidi

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a rooted phone.If I could just force my apps to download their data directly onto my sd card or move it to sd card it would be great.I don't think i have anything to lose after rooting the phone.I've installed link2sd and would like to know how it works.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a rooted phone.If I could just force my apps to download their data directly onto my sd card or move it to sd card it would be great.I don't think i have anything to lose after rooting the phone.I've installed link2sd and would like to know how it works.

Well like I said, only certain apps allow moving to the SD card. Even with a link2sd app, you won't be able to move those apps. I'd imagine a large game like MC4 wouldn't allow you to move onto external storage.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) If you partition the card and format one partition as ext4, Link2SD will move some parts of some apps to that partition. (The app has to be written to be able to run from the SD card.)

(Format the other partition as FAT32 if you want your computer to be able to read it. If your computer runs Linux you can format the entire card as ext4.)

2) Even assuming that the particular app can run from the SD card, some parts of it may stay in internal storage. (It depends on how it was written.)

3) Anything moved to the SD card has to have a link to that data in internal storage (where Android looks for it).

Bottom line is that you don't save as much space as you'd like to by moving apps to external storage. There are some ROMs that use the external SD card as the main storage. That's a much more efficient way to go, and gives you - at present, depending on the phone - as much as 128GB of storage.

Irtesam Zaidi

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Well like I said, only certain apps allow moving to the SD card. Even with a link2sd app, you won't be able to move those apps. I'd imagine a large game like MC4 wouldn't allow you to move onto external storage.

I found a way.It required root.I'd be glad if you added it into your directory of guides.Now i can run any game from my external card.I'm not allowed to post links so I'm gonna copy paste the procedure.
Requirements:
A non-Samsung phone.It doesn't seem to work on samsung phones.Mostly mediatek devices.
It is confirmed to work on following samsung devices:

Micromax Canvas 2 A110
Micromax Canvas HD A116
Sony Xperia J
Sony Xperia Sola
Samsung galaxy Ace 2 (Tested by Adrián El Aguila)
Galaxy S3
Galaxy S Plus
HTC Passion
HTC Amaze 4G
Dany G5(tested by me)
Procedure:

1. First of all your phone must be ROOTED, If its not then STOP here and get the Root first.

2. Download Root Explorer or any other such explorer which can explore root directory of device.

3. Navigate to system/etc folder mount it as rw(read/write).

4. There you will find vold.fstab file, copy it to your sdcard.

5. Then in your PC open the file in an Text Editor.

6. Find the lines like these,
Capture.png
7. Replace sdcard with ext_card and ext_card with sdcard in these two lines.
Capture2.png
8. Again navigate to system/etc change the name of the current vold.fstab file to vold.fstab.old (backup).

9. Paste the new edited vold.fstab file there and long press on it you will get a menu from there change the permissions to “rw_r_ _r_ _” this is important.

10. Reboot the system.

11. If you want to restore changes, delete the edited vold.fstab file and rename the vold.fstab.old file as vold.fstab and reboot.

Glad if I could be of use.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress