Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Angry New Battery, Grey With Yellow Triangle.

Hey guys, Jordan here,

I have a galaxy S3, was on my way to the lake plugged my phone into the car and it beeped at me saying this wasn't a correct charger for my phone.

I found that a little weird but didn't dwell to long.

It died at the lake, when I got home I plugged it in and didn't look at it again till the next morning.

It wouldn't turn on, nothing at all, however if I unplugged it and plugged it back in (any charger) it would beep show a battery with no power then a yellow triangle with a picture of the battery with a line through it.

I ordered a new battery from Samsung dealer here in Canada.

When the battery arrived I plugged it in and let it charge over night. Now it still showed that same screen with the battery and yellow triangle, however in the morning the phone actually turned on. HOWEVER, the battery in the top right hand corner was blinking and it warned me yet again it could not charge. The battery depleted from 25 to almost 0 and I'm back with the same battery empty yellow Triangle syndrome as before.

Some interesting points.

1. The phone will not under any circumstance turn on when plugged in. Just the battery with yellow triangle.
    2. The phone does seem to charge the new battery while turned off, although slowly.
    3. If I unplug the phone it will turn on with whatever power the battery has with no warnings. As soon as I plug it in, the battery indicator starts flashing and I get the warning message saying wrong charger or battery.

Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.
    Jordan.

Global Posts
    20,988 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: New Battery, Grey With Yellow Triangle.

I am thinking the USB port has gone bad. Have you tried other chargers/cables?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I have used multiple cables and methods of charging yes.

My real concern is why now with a new battery it will charge slowly, only while turned off, but the old battery it would not?

Right now I'm looking at the phone in front of me, the red light blinks constantly in the top left and it has the grey battery with a yellow triangle which itself has a battery with a line through it inside.

New Battery, Grey With Yellow Triangle.-img_20140814_084546_zps323e4453.jpg

Confusion!!

Jrodan

Global Posts
    20,988 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Since the problem is with 2 batteries, I am thinking it is hardware related.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Since the problem is with 2 batteries, I am thinking it is hardware related.
    Once the phone is on I can still transfer data off the phone, and it recognizes it is plugged in. Would that still happen with a bad port?

Thanks for the help so far

Jordan

Global Posts
    20,988 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by staples 449 View Post
    Once the phone is on I can still transfer data off the phone, and it recognizes it is plugged in. Would that still happen with a bad port?

Thanks for the help so far

Jordan
    Maybe. The charging pin may be damaged, but the data pin may not be.

Phone Timeline

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Maybe. The charging pin may be damaged, but the data pin may not be.
    Sounds good, I've taken the phone apart now, what are the chances a port from a Samsung 7" tab is the same? There is a bit of corrosion as well, so I'm gonna clean it first.

Thanks
    Jordan

Great news everyone who bothers to read this!

Opened her up and cleaned the board with rubbing alcohol 91% tried it, no dice, then took apart again and actually poured alcohol into the charging port.

And

MIRACLE!!!

It works!!!

Long story short, never give up, never surrender. 10 bucks got my phone back up and running.
    Jordan.

Global Posts
    20,988 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Glad to hear that. Thanks for the follow up. See you around the forums.

Phone Timeline