Battery Drain on HTC Desire 601 by Google Play Services?

A

AC Question

Hi:

I recently got a HTC Desire 601 (it's only about a month old). It has Android version 4.4.2. I noticed the battery sometimes drains really fast (like around 1% per 2 minutes), even when I wasn't using it at all. According to the battery history, the phone was being kept awake (even when the screen is off). I downloaded the app Battery Doctor and saw that Google Play Services was using up around 80%. I have tried the following to fix it:
-Restarting the phone
-Taking the battery out and putting it back in
-Force stopping Google Play Services
-Turning on Power Saver mode
-Setting the location mode to 'Battery Saving'
-Turning off Google Location Reporting & Location History
-Turning off Auto-Sync

None of those solution worked. I have pretty much the same apps and the same usage on my old phone and my tablet, and this doesn't happen on those. Please let me know how to stop the battery drain.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Vladimir Chadin

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
It didn't help I checked. And I still don't know what is this app really doing, it just telling you to check gps on, Internet connection on, battery 100% and plugged than restart phone and turn off gps and auto sync but after it phone still awake when display off and have a huge battery drain. My phone is HTC desire 601 too with KitKat and Google play services 5.0.89. Before update to KitKat I didn't have this problem. It started after KitKat update

iamn01

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I hope I'm not offtopic but I'd like to share with you my solution for this annoying problem.
I have the new Galaxy S5 but I think this fix applies as well to every android device facing with the same problems.
OK! let's start.
After the last google play services (GPSs from now) update for Samsung GS5 (Italy H3G) I was facing with a huge battery drain due to the GPSs. I "googled" a lot about that but none of the proposed solution worked.
Furthermore I noticed that at startup there was a repeating error on GPSs (the GPSs stops to work and something like that): I decided to send the data report and looking through the error log I found some errors about missing files.
So I've done the following:
Settings -> Battery-> tap on GPSs -> brings you to the GPSs information: within that screen tap on Manage Archive (Gestisci Arch. in Italian).
You'll be redirect to GPSs Memory: find the button "Delete all data" and tap.

The battery drain completely disappeared: I'm still using Google Now, Geo Localization, and google sync (usually I set ON only the service that I'm interested in: contacts, chrome to desktop, play music, url shortener and backup data.
My settings for geo local. are "use wifi and mobile"; I activate the gps only with using the Polar beat app.
BT is always off except when needed.
I wrote the same solution on disqus for ausdroid.
Please find attached some screenshots (provided by system monitor lite) about the battery forecast after the fix and the reduced utilization of GPSs.

I'm sorry for the link but, as you know, I cannot post links because this is my first post.

Hope this can solve your problem

Galaxy S5 (SM-G9000F)
Android 4.4.2
Kernel 3.4.0-2089850

Attachments

• original1.jpg
    original1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 6
  • original.jpg
    original.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
You are a very welcome new member! Many people have this problem so any help and advice are welcome contributions to the forums.

Sei un nuovo utente molto gradito! Molti utenti hanno questo problema in modo che qualsiasi aiuto e consiglio sono contributi Benvenuti al forum. (Goog.Tr.)

Posted via Android Central App

NelsonPOliveira

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have had the same issue since upgrading to Android 4.4.2
So far, it seems to be correlated whenever Google Play detects any application updates. It doesn`t even have to
download them automatically. At that stage, the phone enters a continous awake mode, even if the screen is turned off.
This can be very frustrating, especially when you turn your phone on in the morning and it only has about 2-5% battery left,
when you left it with at 50% the night before.
The solution I found is to install JuiceDefender and wipe out the phone cache partition. This has worked all the time so far, though
I sometimes need to remove the cache every other day, which can become very frustrating. I find it unbelievable that so far Google
has not come up with a fix for either Google Play or Android 4.4.2, since this is a very well known problem for a few months now.

The solution I use is:
1) Go to your Power settings screen and deselect Fast boot.
2) Shutdown your phone.
3) Press simultanously the Power button and the Volume down button until you see the boot loader screen
(it`s a screen with bright coloured text on a white background)
4) Select the Recovery option with your volume keys, then press the Power button.
5) Wait for a red triangle with an exclamation mark in it. Press and hold the volume up key and press the power button once.
6) You should see a black background with text options. Select Wipe cache partition with the volume keys.
7) Press the power button once.
8) Wait until the cache partition is clean and then select Reboot System with the volume keys and press the Power button
to restart your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar