Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Unhappy USB OTG Cable - Will it or Won't it Work?

Samsung makes a version of the micro USB to USB cable (AKA OTG cable). I bought one. Okay, it wasn't the one Samsung makes, but should that matter? I have a nearly new Galaxy Tab 4 7" running Android 4.4. It has been rooted. I can't get it to read a flash drive, or even get the LED indicator light to turn on. I found some apps on Play Store that are supposed to test your device and let you know if it can function as a USB host. I have run those and they come back with ambiguous results. I have also downloaded a couple of the apps that are supposed to fix problems with the USB port, but they don't seem to do anything.

On its website, Samsung says that the Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 can use the OTG USB cable. It runs Android 4.4 just like my 7 inch version and other specs appear nearly identical. So WHY can't I get this working? It seems like there ought to be a way to get it to function. Thanks in advance for any help!

Default Re: USB OTG Cable - Will it or Won't it Work?

Unfortunately not all USB cables are created equal. Have you tried your cable on another device?

Also, although this shouldn't be the case, MAYBE the pinout for it is different. I know that Samsung likes to do these things sometimes (it changed the MHL pinout from the S2 to the S3 and Note 2).

Global Posts
    15,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

An OTG cable is a straight 4 wire USB cable with a pair of pins (4 and 5, IIRC) shorted on the phone end. Even the cheapest one should work. (I think I paid about $1.25 for mine, and it works fine on Samsung devices.)

But the hardware (in the phone or tablet) has to be able to do OTG - if it can't, no cable will do it. It's not the version of Android, it's the hardware. And according to any specs I can find for the Tab 4, it doesn't support OTG.

I know the OTG Standard shouldn't change, but then again, MHL also had a standard pinout and Sammy does like to do things their way sometimes. Anyway, the pinout thing was a looooong shot. I wonder why Samsung lists their adapter as compatible with this tablet then... it has magic inside?

I'm in the same boat. Because the 7" uses a Marvell chip set and the 8 and 10 inch use the Snapdragon, the 7 " right now will not use otg. The cable should work if you plug into a phone, but that's it.