Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve J W
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default An old Motorola Droid X problem that I need advice on

Hi all,
    I'm new to this so please forgive me as I am not tech savvy.
    In 2010 I dropped my Motorola Droid X, Yes I actually said 2010, but please read on. Ever since that day my GPS has frozen in the one place I dropped it.
    All my photo's taken after I dropped it, no matter where I am, still says it was at the same place. I can be 70 miles away and it still will not read the correct GPS coordinates, no matter how many photo's I have taken. My GPS was switched on and worked before I dropped it, I used it to navigate when I drove in my last job.
    The other weird problem is that the time stamp over 4 days of taking photo's is only 7 minutes apart and says pm when I took photo's in the morning, am.
    Now I got rid of that phone for an upgraded one 2 years ago, so no more problems :-)
    HOWEVER, the photo's on my computer that I sent from the 2010 Droid still state incorrect GPS coordinates, along with the time error.

A good friend suggested that the problem "might" be that the GPS chip was damaged when I dropped it, but does not have a clue as to why the date changes ok and the time doesn't.

I am trying to prove to someone that the problem was the phone and not me, (long story that I won't bore you with).

Can someone please tell me in layman's terms what the possible problem was with my old Droid after I damaged it?

Thanks

Default Re: An old Motorola Droid X problem that I need advice on

Welcome to Android Central! My guess would be that the drop caused significant damage to both the GPS radio and possibly the circuitry for the internal clock. Do you remember if you had the clock set to Automatic Network Time or Manual? If the latter, then I wouldn't be too surprised if the internal clock got messed up by the trauma.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply, I thought I was going crazy.

I do remember that the clock was set to manual, as I tried to set it to automatic after I noticed the problem, but I soon got rid of the phone when I upgraded.

I am glad that you explained it, just a shame I didn't keep the old phone to experiment with it.

Thanks again.
    B. Diddy likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the reply, I thought I was going crazy.

I do remember that the clock was set to manual, as I tried to set it to automatic after I noticed the problem, but I soon got rid of the phone when I upgraded.

I am glad that you explained it, just a shame I didn't keep the old phone to experiment with it.

Thanks again.