Can't view device files even when connected via USB

geoffliu

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Using a Google Nexus 5 here, got it about a month ago. A couple weeks ago I was able to plug in my phone to the computer and view its files. Now the device fails to be recognized by the computer, no matter what I try.

Here's my steps:

1. I plug in the Micro USB side into my phone
  2. I plug in the USB side into my laptop. At this stage I hear the sound (from my laptop) indicating that a USB device has been plugged in. On my phone, it shows that its charging and that it is "Connected as a media device."
  3. When I open Windows Explorer, I only see two drives: C:/ and D:/. There is no Google Nexus 5 drive (should be E:/)
  4. I see an icon on my laptop, "Safely remove hardware" I open Devices and Printers, and there it is, the Nexus 5 device
  5. I have ALSO tried going to Developer options, enabling USB debugging, but to no avail

I've restarted my phone, still didn't work. Unplugged and plugged in again, still not working.

I am, however, able to transfer files via Bluetooth.

I am using Android 4.4.4 and Windows 8.1, if that helps. Once again, both my phone and my laptop seem to recognize that my phone is plugged in and connected via MTP. Even so. I cannot access any files.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I assume you've also tried rebooting the laptop, correct? I've noticed that sometimes it can take a little while (like 30 seconds or so) for the phone to actually show up in Windows Explorer. How long have you waited?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781