Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Towel root exploit

I did a security scan with CM Security because the browser for my S3 froze up. I got a message that my phone had a towel root exploit, but that it had been fixed. I tried to go back online with Dashlane browser, but it would not connect. I did not install the towel root app and have never attempted to root my phone. I didn't even download any apps at that time. I do know it is very dangerous for someone else to have this kind of access to my phone. How can I fix this? I thought about a factory reset to clear all info, but I am not sure if that will help to remove the root. I have most sensitive info encrypted, but can this kind of access bypass that? Obviously, I know very little about this and thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Global Posts
    22,113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Towel root exploit

I am curious if CM got a false positive. It can happen sometimes.

One question though: Have you had the phone the whole time? Or did you get a replacement at some point?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Default Re: Towel root exploit

It could have been a false positive. I haven't had my phone replaced or repaired, and the only place it ever has gone missing is in my house or car. I just panicked when I started reading what towel root could do.

I saw some apps that said they could tell you if you have rooted your phone, basically just a confirmation that it has been rooted if you are trying to or has been unrooted or never rooted, if you need that info. I am not sure how accurate or trustworthy they are, though. I am still worried as to why that particular browser was the only one that would not let me access the internet after receiving the warning.