Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Angry Phone is relaying sms scam spam

My spouse's phone is relaying hundreds of sms messages that are originating from a web app ever since he did an "update". I have looked at apps that have permission to send sms with Grip Security, and Grip is the only app with that permission. I did a factory reset on his phone. I looked thru running apps for anything that looked a little suspicious. Nothing has helped so far. Any ideas?

31,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    31,858 Global Posts
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: Phone is relaying sms scam spam

Is there a way to blacklist that number in the app?

I think you misunderstood. he is not receiving sms spam, his phone is relaying it. you can't see the messages on the phone, but a lot of angry texts are coming back saying things like "remove me from your list you filthy scammer" and our account shows his phone as sending thousands of sms/mms messages. Looking at the messaged from the provided online tool, They say "Congratulations, you are one lucky customer getting a credit applicable to your next month bill, for more details visit [redacted tr.im url]" The message info indicates that the message was sent from the WEB.

Grip is the ONLY app with SEND_SMS permission? That's odd; one would expect to see many apps there.

Try installing https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t.Permissions2 then scroll about halfway down the list to find the "send SMS messages" item and tap to expand the list.

In the meantime, put the phone into Airplane mode to temporarily stop transmissions.
    vfletcher likes this.

It may be a new version of this: www dot gmanetwork dot com/news/story/224415/scitech/analyst-sms-relay-malware-can-spy-on-android-phones but the mentioned services are not on his phone. (yes, its in airplane mode.)

okay, now, this is weird. I see send SMS-received broadcast, but no sign of Send SMS Messages

edit: nope, that isnt it

edit2: argh. i made a nice long post about what apps have perms according to Advanced Permission Manager, and it awaits moderation. I also changed his google acct password and took the phone out of airplane mode - no funny business yet, but its waited hours in between previously, so idk if that is the "in"

installed Advanced Permission Manager (play dot google dot com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.heagoo.pmaster&hl=en) and the following apps have "Send SMS messages"

GRIP Security
    Isis Wallet
    NFL Mobile
    Google Search
    Samsung WatchON Video
    My Verizon Mobile
    Google Play Store
    Samsung Learning
    Samsung Updates
    Samsung Hub
    Samsung Books
    Mobile Tracker
    Exchange Services
    Bluetooth Share

Samsung Video
    S Voice

The phone is a Samsung S4 on Verizon service, so these seem legit.

24 hrs later, looks like it has been fixed by the changing of the Google password.

edit: nope. not fixed. it started up again this morning. sigh.

Changing his Verizon account password has fixed the issue (48hrs and no more scam spam going out) apparently he clicked a link in a text message that was able to farm his account information.

Quote Originally Posted by scamspam
    "Your Verizon Wireless account has been updated. A discount will be applied to eligible lines, Please visit:[redacted url]"

Do they actually appear as sent text messages on his phone? The scammers may simply be using caller ID spoofing and using his number