AT&T Galaxy S4--missing letters in screen icons!

A

AC Question

Okay, so this is bizarre. Has anyone heard of "missing" letters in screen icons?

I just bought an unlocked Galaxy S4 SGH-I337. I don't yet have a SIM card in it--I'm planning to use this in Europe, so I'm waiting to buy a SIM when I arrive in Italy. Meantime, I'm using WiFi to preload apps, import my contacts, etc.

Twice in the last couple of days, one or more letters will go missing from shortcut/icon names on the screen. For example, yesterday my Camera app was labeled "Ca era," and my Gmail app was labeled "G ail".

I rebooted the phone and the problem went away. Today--surprise!--the M's are fine, but now the letters H and G have gone walkabout.

Any insights? Could it have something to do with a lack of SIM? I did put an SD card in it.

I can exchange this phone (bought it on eBay from a great seller). But if there is a quick--and lasting--fix it would be a heck of a lot easier.

Thanks for any help.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
That's weird...don't think it's a sim issue, but I have seen cases where that is the cause of a seemingly unrelated problem.
Try booting into recovery mode, and wiping the cache partition.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Rico X

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
That's weird...don't think it's a sim issue, but I have seen cases where that is the cause of a seemingly unrelated problem.
Try booting into recovery mode, and wiping the cache partition.

Thanks, UJ95x. Booting into recovery mode and wiping caches sounds like a plan. Now, if only I knew how to do that! Yep, I'm one of those hopeless newbies. Will endeavor to figure it out.

Rico X

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks to UJ95x and belodian for the help. I followed belodian's link and was able to clear the cache and reboot.

Now we wait...will report back in a day or two with results!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Sorry the suggestions didn't work. I think I can speak for pretty much everybody here when I say, No great surprise. Often you try things you think are the right treatment and it makes no difference.😕

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke