S5 vs HTC One M8: Picture quality? Need a push...

A

AC Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong section....I saw ask a question, so that's what kinda have:

Okay, I know, it's been asked a bagillion times I'm sure. But after reading about tons articles, watching all sorts of comparison videos, and reading up on megapixels vs ultrapixels. I think I'm still a bit in the dark and someone can clear it up for me for the battle of these phones (or another one you'd suggest for me).

Every article I read talks about how amazing the cameras are on these phones. Most usually say, if you're buying for the camera, go with the M8. I'd say the large majority of pictures I take are at night or in low lighting. I do a lot of night time motorcycle rides, and go to a lot of car shows and bike meets, almost all at night. Usually my pictures take place in a dark environment, while taking a picture of something with lights on, or something well lit. Every camera phone I've ever had, has issues with major light flares and focusing, curious if any cameras have gotten over that. All of these articles talk about how good the pictures are at night, but how is the actual picture quality/density between the two?

I'm going back and forth between the M8 and the S5...and just need someone to push me over the edge towards one phone or the other so I can just go down to the Verizon store and get it today.

I currently have the S4. I've been pretty happy with the picture quality, though night shots are extremely grainy when zoomed in. Might be okay if you're posting to Instagram, which I am...but, not if I wanna go back and edit (I'm about to purchase a DSLR, but those are not always easily available, especially when I'm out on the bike).

Usually the things I look for in a phone, are a removable battery, a good camera and a non-laggy interface. I honestly don't care what OS it is, as I pretty much just use Facebook, Instagram, and email for work. I might be able to over look the removable battery, if the M8 is that much more amazing than the S5.

chadbaldwin

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I finally found this article, which is really awesome for comparing the shots.

I can't post links yet, but if you Google this, it's the first article:
the-samsung-galaxy-s5-camera-blows-the-htc-one-camera-out-of-the-water

I would LOVE to have that depth of field feature, but it looks like the S5 is the way to go for picture quality...

EDIT:
After finding an example shot of the Depth of Field in action...it's a really terrible software job of just blurring the background, and not actually adjusting the depth of field. I know, I had high hopes that the technology was there, but this opened my eyes. I've attached the picture. At first glance, the blurred background is really cool....but you'll notice when you look in the water...the background is not unfocused. The software just drew a border around the object and blurred the rest.

It just looks like HTC came up with their own poor version of photoshops magic wand.

Attachments

• IMAG0058_1.jpg
    IMAG0058_1.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol