Can I move/copy personal data from 1 phone to another?

PhoneGlow

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I purchased the Sprint LG Optimus S™ back in June of this year, and I have to note, all this "Smart Phone" is so new to me, and this phone simply does not have enough memory in it, so I am contemplating on buying the ZTE Force SmartPhone, or maybe even the ZTE Flash, which has slightly a bigger touchscreen, but what confuses me is the site where the phone is, reads out that is memory is "1MG RAM / 8MG ROM", while the ZTE Force (which is available at Kroger's) is 2.3 Memory. I know the difference between RAM & ROM, but these references here for the ZTE Smart Phones confuse me ... I want plenty of internal memory, so I don't get insufficient memory space messages when downloading/upgrading APPs. Which one would have more memory for incidents likes this. Force, or Flash?

Also, is there a way I can transfer, synch copy/copies of whatever personal data in the internal memory in the the Sprint LG Optimus S™ onto the newer Android-Based Phone, which appears is going to be one of those fore-mentioned ZTE Phones? I know the Contacts can be backed up to the microSD Card, and I already got that ground covered.

Thanks in advance, for any assistance and help provided.
Cliff

Last edited:

ndex477

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: an I move/copy personal data from 1 phone to another?

Welcome to arndroidcentral. You should be able to just plug the Optimus S into a computer and move all necessary file to the computer. Then transfer them to the new phone. Airdroid is another alternative.

PhoneGlow

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to arndroidcentral. You should be able to just plug the Optimus S into a computer and move all necessary file to the computer. Then transfer them to the new phone. Airdroid is another alternative.

Thank You, Would "Airdroid" let me (by some method or another) transfer personal data, password, settings like for Wi-FI, etc., download APPs from the Internal Memory of my current Android Phone to a newly purchased Android Phone? The microSD Card (32GB) is not problem, and I keep backups of it on my computer anyway.

PhoneGlow

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

I think that if I can't ever get this phone "rooted" so I can move apps to the microSD Card, or even if I don't get it "rooted", then I will just start all over and from scratch, and re-install the "downloaded" apps I have now and simply just re-enter everything ... it wouldn't take that much time if I leave it as is (except if I ever get it rooted). But let's this be a caution to you if you just got a smart phone and are new to this: take slow and nice and easy and don't go "hog wild" like I did.

ndex477

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

I've used it briefly. It has it's limits. I've only used it for file transfer but cut and paste i've found, is browser dependent. For transferring apps from one device to another you can use the Play Store. It would help if you have a rooted device and if you know how to use linux or know someone who does, then you could transfer the app .apk files over to a new device then install them with the Android onboard apk installer. It may work with Windows.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

1) Not all apps can run from the SD card - it depends on how they're written. Always buy a phone that has enough internal memory for your current needs, plus 50%. (Then still expect to need a new phone every 2-3 years.) Consider the SD card as merely storage for files - pictures, videos, music, documents, etc. If you have an app that can run from the SD card you got a bonus.

2) The Force is a fairly old phone, probably not updatable (as far s Android version - it runs 4.0, which is about to become 3 versions old when L comes out), running only on Sprint or Boost. It has 4GB of internal storage, most of it used by the system. (You'll probably have 200MB or less of user storage space. Don't count on using any modern apps, since they'll need more space.)

Unless you're really willing to (or forced to) exchange usability for price, save your money and buy something more modern. (A good used S3 for Sprint can run you about $120-$150 on Swappa).

(Also, before you decide on a phone, decide on a carrier. The best phone, on a carrier that doesn't give you service where you need service, is worthless. If Sprint gives you coverage wherever you need it [and check by rooms, not by neighborhoods - cellphone signals are high enough frequency that you can have a room-size hole in coverage]. My daughter's house has absolutely no Sprint signal inside, but full coverage on the front steps, the deck, the yard, etc. And full AT&T and Verizon coverage inside, so it's not the house, it's the location of the nearest Sprint tower.)

PhoneGlow

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

I believe I tried to download the Airdroid last week, and it failed due to "insufficient space"; I was however, able to download the ASTRO File Manager App. I can try to download the "Airdroid" app again though, if I have freed up enough internal memory space for it.

Yes, I am quite familiar with Linux and it has been the primary platform I've been using for over 5 years now. I do have Windows XP installed on the computer, but I have not been able to get into it for years now (perhaps because of all the hardware changes, and my copy of Windows XP thinks it is a stolen/dupe, don't know).

Cliff

PhoneGlow

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

2) The Force is a fairly old phone, probably not updatable (as far s Android version - it runs 4.0, which is about to become 3 versions old when L comes out), running only on Sprint or Boost. It has 4GB of internal storage, most of it used by the system. (You'll probably have 200MB or less of user storage space. Don't count on using any modern apps, since they'll need more space.)

Unless you're really willing to (or forced to) exchange usability for price, save your money and buy something more modern. (A good used S3 for Sprint can run you about $120-$150 on Swappa).

Yea, I notice the phone is about 4 years old (it is a refurbished phone). The one that I'm billed through is Kroger I-Wireless, but I believe the network used is Sprint. I was thinking about the Coolpad Quattro II (801ES) (also, since it has even a newer version of Android (4.1.2 Jelly Bean) and more memory notes I MIGHT understand better, but you note that newer phones require more memory, so I guess that's a moot point. was thinking that if it is newer than my current one, and I'm sure it is, that maybe I will be able to find out how to root the phone (as the current LG Optimus S™ LS670 has been a daunting attempt for me and my neighbor) so I can at least get rid of apps I don't use and/or need, which would free up space for others I want, or want to try.

(Also, before you decide on a phone, decide on a carrier. The best phone, on a carrier that doesn't give you service where you need service, is worthless. If Sprint gives you coverage wherever you need it [and check by rooms, not by neighborhoods - cellphone signals are high enough frequency that you can have a room-size hole in coverage]. My daughter's house has absolutely no Sprint signal inside, but full coverage on the front steps, the deck, the yard, etc. And full AT&T and Verizon coverage inside, so it's not the house, it's the location of the nearest Sprint tower.)

Yes, that was one of the reasons I went ahead and got a land line phone years ago, but now I want to do away with that. Cell Phone Reception is better in my next door neighbors place then it is mine; my old LG LX125 would hardly work that much even in the front room of my apartment (forget the bathroom and bedroom). At least the Optimus will work in the front room, and if a newer one will only do at least that much, and/or another carrier, well, I'm 57 years of age, and most of my life consisted of using phones where the handsets had cords to the base unit, and I would have to stay in that area anyway, so I would be willing to limiting my cell phone usage to the front room -- they say Verizon is the best in this area.

Thanks,
Cliff