Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 keeps lagging/pausing for about 10 seconds

Stock Galaxy S4, running Android 4.4.2, no custom launcher.

I've been noticing a problem that seems like it's been around for a while (some months at least), but seems to have gotten quite a bit worse recently. Up until today I only noticed it while playing a certain game (Scramble With Friends), so I assumed it was a problem with the game and just lived with it, but today I noticed it outside of the game, unless it's a separate issue. The problem is that the phone periodically just stops responding to touches and button inputs for about 10 seconds, maybe a little less. Even if I press the power button to try and turn the screen off, that won't even respond for a few to several seconds when this is happening, and when the screen does finally turn off, the navigation buttons on the front bottom of the phone stay lit up for a short bit after the screen goes dark, when normally those buttons turn off at the same time as the screen if I turn the power off.

It seems like it's happening once every few to several minutes now. I don't know if it's something in the OS or Touchwiz that's causing it or if it's a 3rd party app that's running in the background causing it. I'm not an app fiend, but I have enough (perhaps 40-50 including games, but not including all of the bloatware etc. that gets installed automatically) that I wouldn't want to uninstall them one by one to try and find the culprit unless I had no other choice. I'm hoping perhaps somebody out there is familiar with the problem, or if not, perhaps knows of a utility that might shed some light on what's happening. I have no "active apps" according to the OS, but certainly there are a bunch of apps on the phone that are using data in the background and performing who knows what functions. Any useful suggestions aside from just uninstalling apps appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: Galaxy S4 keeps lagging/pausing for about 10 seconds

The first thing I'd try is a cache partition wipe: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 4 | T-Mobile Support
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Using a 3rd party app I cleared the cache shortly after I posted that, and cleared up around 250mb. Not sure if that's the same as a cache partition wipe, I've never heard anybody use that exact phrase before. If it's a different process please let me know. Thanks.

It is a different process. Clearing individual app caches only clears out the temporary data accumulated by those apps. The system cache partition is used by the system, and temporary data that accumulates there can occasionally cause issues, particularly after a system update. You won't lose any personal data with the cache partition wipe.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thank you. I looked into what you suggested after your first response and saw that they weren't the same thing, and that it shouldn't affect any settings if i do clear it. However, the problem did seem to go away after I cleared the temporary data/cache that I had mentioned, so I haven't cleared the system cache partition yet. Good to know though for future reference if I have an unusual problem such as this, or if this problem returns and persists.