Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Google Photos app disappeared

Google Photos app, which automatically backups and allows me to share photos from my phone camera has disappeared from my phone. I have searched all apps on my phone and all installed apps, and it is simply gone. I cannot find it at all in the Google Play store. I've looked and looked and cannot understand how Google would just eliminate an app. I have not had any luck by contacting Google.

Any ideas what happened and what has replaced this app? I cannot get a lot of photos taken recently off my cell phone.

Thanks.

Global Posts
    8,470 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Google Photos app disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    Google Photos app, which automatically backups and allows me to share photos from my phone camera has disappeared from my phone. I have searched all apps on my phone and all installed apps, and it is simply gone. I cannot find it at all in the Google Play store. I've looked and looked and cannot understand how Google would just eliminate an app. I have not had any luck by contacting Google.

Any ideas what happened and what has replaced this app? I cannot get a lot of photos taken recently off my cell phone.

Thanks.
    Did you recently delete Google+? Google Photos is bundled with Google+, so if you delete that then you may have also deleted Google Photos unknowingly.

Download Google+ (if you don't have it) and see if that brings back Photos. If you are still having problems then consider another app, such as Tool for Picassa, in the interim. Let us know how it goes for you.

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Did you recently delete Google+? Google Photos is bundled with Google+, so if you delete that then you may have also deleted Google Photos unknowingly.

Download Google+ (if you don't have it) and see if that brings back Photos. If you are still having problems then consider another app, such as Tool for Picassa, in the interim. Let us know how it goes for you.
    No, I have not deleted Google+. I've just updated it today and Photos app is still not appearing. I read the Google+ app reviews when I updated; a lot of people are apparently reporting the Photos app is missing. WTG, Google. Thanks for your suggestions!

Have you looked in your Google account sync settings. Whatever it says there that is syncing your photos is what you want. If it's Picasa it doesn't have an app. I may be out of sync myself, so just a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.

What phone do you have? Does a reboot help? It may also be worth booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition, but we need to know which phone it is.

Also, see what happens if you go to Settings>Apps>All, select Google+, and Uninstall Updates. Then Update it again, and see if Photos shows up.

I had the same problem the Google photos app was missing on my LG G2 running kitkat not rooted. My problem was I disabled Google+ so it automatically hid the Google photos app. It's back to normal now hope this works if you did disable it.