Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Switching back to android with a galaxy S5?

Hi,

This is my first post, but I'm looking for some advice/reassurance?

I've previously owned android devices (HTC Hero, original Samsung Galaxy and HTC Desire S), so I know my way around it and I really like the way android works, but I jumped ship to an iphone the last time my contract was due, as I'd just had enough of endless crashes, lagging and at the time the lack of development I android phones.

So two years with an iPhone 5 and I'm considering coming back. But I'm nervous. The iPhone has crashed a few times, but this is like once every couple of months vs once every few days and didn't need to reset the whole phone to get it working again. Generally the software is the best I have experienced in day to day use, and it's still as fast as it was on day 1. But I really want to use android again, I want it to just work!

I narrowed my choices down to a Galaxy S5 or the LG G3 and went to have a look at them in town. So, the reason behind picking these two phones is they are the to of their game right now. The LG attracted me due to reviews on performance, the way LG have designed their skin over android and the fact it comes with less bloatware installed then the S5. Oh and the quality of the camera in low light. I take a lot of pictures! The S5 was on my list for generally being not far off the LG with its camera and the AMOLED screen and performance reviews.

Seems like the G3 isn't very popular in the UK as no one had a working demo of it, so I only got to have a look at a crappy plastic version, but this did help me decide it's just a little bit too big for me. The S5 on the other hand was much easier for me to handle and my gosh is the screen gorgeous!

So, I think I'm settled on the S5. I actually don't mind the look of Touch Whiz either. But from past experience, it's the software on Galaxy's that have caused the issues. I do not want to be locked into a two year contract where after 6 months I want to launch my phone against a wall because buttons don't respond, apps take an age to open or web pages just shut down for no reason. I also don't want to wait for the iPhone 6 and have to pay an unjustifiable extortionate amount upfront for it either.

I really really want to like this phone, it looks amazing and has all the things I want in a new device for someone who browses and takes a lot of photos. So, please put my mind at rest that I'm making the right choice? Or should I be looking at something else?

(Sorry for the long message! Just want to get this right)

Default Re: Switching back to android with a galaxy S5?

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    Hi,

This is my first post, but I'm looking for some advice/reassurance?

I've previously owned android devices (HTC Hero, original Samsung Galaxy and HTC Desire S), so I know my way around it and I really like the way android works, but I jumped ship to an iphone the last time my contract was due, as I'd just had enough of endless crashes, lagging and at the time the lack of development I android phones.

So two years with an iPhone 5 and I'm considering coming back. But I'm nervous. The iPhone has crashed a few times, but this is like once every couple of months vs once every few days and didn't need to reset the whole phone to get it working again. Generally the software is the best I have experienced in day to day use, and it's still as fast as it was on day 1. But I really want to use android again, I want it to just work!

I narrowed my choices down to a Galaxy S5 or the LG G3 and went to have a look at them in town. So, the reason behind picking these two phones is they are the to of their game right now. The LG attracted me due to reviews on performance, the way LG have designed their skin over android and the fact it comes with less bloatware installed then the S5. Oh and the quality of the camera in low light. I take a lot of pictures! The S5 was on my list for generally being not far off the LG with its camera and the AMOLED screen and performance reviews.

Seems like the G3 isn't very popular in the UK as no one had a working demo of it, so I only got to have a look at a crappy plastic version, but this did help me decide it's just a little bit too big for me. The S5 on the other hand was much easier for me to handle and my gosh is the screen gorgeous!

So, I think I'm settled on the S5. I actually don't mind the look of Touch Whiz either. But from past experience, it's the software on Galaxy's that have caused the issues. I do not want to be locked into a two year contract where after 6 months I want to launch my phone against a wall because buttons don't respond, apps take an age to open or web pages just shut down for no reason. I also don't want to wait for the iPhone 6 and have to pay an unjustifiable extortionate amount upfront for it either.

I really really want to like this phone, it looks amazing and has all the things I want in a new device for someone who browses and takes a lot of photos. So, please put my mind at rest that I'm making the right choice? Or should I be looking at something else?

(Sorry for the long message! Just want to get this right)
    Don't like the m8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just signed up so I can reply to my own post.

M8 is ok, my boss has one but I'm not a fan of the metal body, it feels bulky to me. Doesn't help I'm a 5 foot girl with the hands of a 12 year old! I kind of like the elastic used on other handsets (and will probably get flamed for saying it!) I do like Sense though, it was the most stable of skins I've ever used.

Welcome to Android Central! Is the Moto X available where you are? It might be a better size for you, if you're concerned about bulk.
    UJ95x likes this.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Another vote for the Moto X. Really is a great little device. Looking at the spec sheet undersells it, but it's one of the better phones available (IMO)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    B. Diddy likes this.

Moto X seems to behard to get hold of too. We do seem to get a bit left out on our little island on the tech side!
    Tempted to just go sim only for a while and see what comes out.

Some CPW and P4U stores in my area have G3's you can play with (but not fling out the window!). I have a Note 3 and also suggest waiting for the Note 4, probably on sale in October or earlier. Size is an issue for you or maybe the slim bezels on the G3.
    Check out the LG G3 forum. 2 good UK posters there at least. I like it.
    I just bought a Moto G as a back up and like it a lot, but my eyes struggle a little with some text that won't enlarge. Similar great retina/ ppi density as the iPhone but at 4.5" so it should be good for most people.
    I therefore would be keen on a Moto X as well but with the screen I would wait for the new version if on contract.
    The Note 3 is very manageable for me in a slim case, so I wouldn't go smaller than the G3 for my next phone.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro