Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rukbat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy s4 broken??

Hi all,

Recently received a Samsung Galaxy S4 from my boyfriend. He didn't like it so we traded phones. Lord behold some jerk at a bar was drunk and bumped into me making me drop my phone straight on its front. Still vibrates and lights up at the top but the screen stays black. It really doesn't look too bad but I would like to get replacement parts to fix it. Is it as simple as replacing the glass? Or will i need the digitizer? Anyone? Thanks!

ROM
    CM12 v5.0.2 w/active LED.

Default Re: Galaxy s4 broken??

Welcome.
    Are you looking to do it yourself or want to find a repair place to look at it?

Mav.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like,
    and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I was going to give it a shot myself. Just need to figure out what I need. I don't want to pay boocoo bucks for parts I wouldn't need.

Global Posts
    9,312 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

1) From years in the business, refusing to fix phones that the owners had already "fixed" (because I got burned too many times, ending up with no money and a phone that wasn't worth repairing), I'd advise you to not do it yourself unless you've replaced at least 3 or 4 phone screens successfully. (We trained techs on those unrepairable phones, because it didn't matter that it takes an average of 5 screens broken to learn how to replace a screen - when the screen came in broken.)

2) If the phone is dark it's probably the LED backlight that's bad, and that means a new screen, not a new glass or digitizer (since the LED layer is the bottom one and you have to replace from the top down). (Try the flashlight trick - in a dark room, with the phone in a condition that should have something on the screen - like the first few minutes while it's turning on - shine a small flashlight across the screen and see if you see any "shadows" moving. If you do, there's no LED backlight. If you don't, it could still be the LED, or it could be the LCD layer, which would still need a new screen. A dark screen isn't the glass or the digitizer.)

(It's even possible that a connector got knocked off from the shock, and just plugging it back in will fix the problem.)

The entire screen assembly (which is what you need) will run you about $150. Bring the phone into a Samsung Experience Center (also known as the Samsung desk at Best Buy) and ask what they charge to replace the screen. (If there are any independent cellphone repair shops in your area - with good reputations - check with them also.) Compare the estimate with the $150 for the screen and, assuming you're really good with tiny, almost invisible, parts, the time and effort (figure a few hours of intense concentration) it's going to take. (Add a few bucks for the Xanax you'll need to keep your hands from shaking when you're through with your first cellphone repair, and whatever you use to keep the cramps in your fingers under control. Or be prepared to take short work stints followed by long breaks.)

I always asvise that it's usually cheaper to pay to have it done, then to pay to fix what you broke, then have the original work done. Most people open the phone, find some screws to remove, oops, broke something, finish the repair, put the phone back together and it doesn't work. So they come back here (or another forum) and ask how to fix that problem. Wash, rinse, repeat. By the time they decide to bring the phone in for repair, the estimate is "well ... it's going to be cheaper to buy a new phone, but if you really want this one fixed ...". (I knew a guy who bought his wife a car as a 10th wedding anniversary present. When it was totaled years later, he paid to have it restored - for the price of about 4 cars. Some things are worth more than money. I don't think that phone is, though, is it?)
    Madd54 and TabathaJean like this.