Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 3 Post By Aquila
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Just had a private # call my phone, and never left voicemail.

Is there a way to trace who placed the random call to my phone? Is there an app for that type of thing? I'm in Canada, so I have come across a couple that are only available State side. Any kind of help is appreciated.

Cheers!!

Audra
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Default Re: Just had a private # call my phone, and never left voicemail.

There are apps from the Play Store that claim to be able to do it, but some require subscriptions. Even then, I'm not sure how reliable those apps are. They do have decent ratings though. Worth a shot if you really need to find out who's calling you.

I have seen some, but not having much luck. It's just annoying, where is human decency of just leaving a voicemail. I'm not a mind reader, though I'm thinking in this day and age, mind reading may be a good trait to have.

Trap call. Had to use it because of an ex girlfriend. She wouldn't admit it was her even after taking a picture of my screen after it was unblocked. I think I paid $4.99 a month for it. Used it three months with no complaints. Only thing I noticed is that when someone calls you blocked you have to hit reject then it unblocked them. What they hear when you do this is a half a ring with a half second pause then it rings normal to them. Check out trap call . com they even have a 800 number you can call.

Lg0Gpro_2_AC

Global Posts
    20,067 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

The apps that claim to do that can't, for a number of reasons, one of which is called Caller ID spoofing. Anyone can make a call claiming to come from any number. If the caller ID is hidden, caller ID apps that can retrieve the number retrieve the spoofed number.

About the only thing that can actually retrieve the number is a court order. (I believe the law in Canada is about the same as it is in the US - it has to involve a crime and there has to be a reasonable expectation that the person making the call is involved in the crime, and that the phone call is connected to the crime.)

Bottom line, if they don't trust you well enough to let you have their phone number, you probably shouldn't trust them enough to have anything to do with them. Legitimate businesses don't hide their caller ID. (You may not be able to use it, because the line may be outgoing-only, but Google can usually find it and tell you which company it is.)

My usual response to an "unknown caller" call is to send it to a recording that tells the caller that their call is being blocked because they're blocking their caller ID. (It's automatic on an unknown caller after the 3rd ring on my system, so I just glance at the phone, ignore it and that's one more call I'll never get again. [This means you, "John, from the shipping department".])

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    Is there a way to trace who placed the random call to my phone? Is there an app for that type of thing? I'm in Canada, so I have come across a couple that are only available State side. Any kind of help is appreciated.

Cheers!!

Audra
    Why does it matter who it was LOL but try trap call as it seems good in the reviews

Another reason why moderators and ambassadors should have signature recognition on the Android Central and Tapatalk apps.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Another reason why moderators and ambassadors should have signature recognition on the Android Central and Tapatalk apps.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    What is?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Jono P View Post
    I can tell your one of those "know it all never wrong give a massive answer that doesn't really cover any of the question but you still think your the boss kinda guy"
    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    What is?

I think it helps to know a post is from an experienced ambassador, not someone talking through his/her hat. You can't tell on an app.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    I think it helps to know a post is from an experienced ambassador, not someone talking through his/her hat. You can't tell on an app.
    I missed that. Thanks

anon8380037 likes this.

Global Posts
    11,053 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

I agree it would be nice. There's not a lot of grace available for those that go after our awesome volunteer force here - but at the same time, it'd be a good idea for people to be polite to each other regardless of the color of their respective names and/or signatures.