Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Can I Unlock my Samsung Galaxy Express (AT&T Go Phone) and use it with Straight Talk?

Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Express that I've been using with a non-contract AT&T plan. I heard Straight Talk has a good deal and want to switch. My questions:

1. Can I unlock my phone? How?
    2. Will my phone work with Straight Talk? Can I keep my phone number?

Thanks for any advice.

V

Global Posts
    9,621 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Default Re: Can I Unlock my Samsung Galaxy Express (AT&T Go Phone) and use it with Straight Talk?

1) If it's not already unlocked, you can head into your current provider's store and ask if they would be able to unlock the device for you.
    2) It should be compatible since they are both ATT MVNOs. Not sure if you'd be able to keep your number, but you can ask them at the time of activating service with them.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

Global Posts
    11,896 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Default Re: Can I Unlock my Samsung Galaxy Express (AT&T Go Phone) and use it with Straight Talk?

If you get a Straight Talk AT&T SIM, the phone will work. If you get a Straight Talk TMobile SIM, the phone will have to be unlocked. (IOW, you might be switching to Straight Talk because of the price, but your coverage is good, so you stay with AT&T as your carrier, or you may be switching because TMobile gives you better coverage than AT&T. Straight Talk uses both carriers - you choose the one you want when you buy the SIM.)

IIRC, you can indicate online, if you buy the SIM on their site, that you want the number ported. It's easier than dealing with some of their reps.