So I am a tech gadget fanatic in DSLR's and high end desktop PC's. Because of this I have never really had much of a budget or a desire to get into smart phones. However of late I started bicycling and that made me realize that having an outdoor GPS would be fantastic while on trails.

Also eh, my Harmony One Universal remote started failing so I figure I could kill two birds with one device by buying a nice smartphone companion device to be my universal remote and my gps while trails. While I am at it I could make it my alarm clock too. It would be cool to watch movies or play mp3's on my breaks and lunches at work too.

I am not really after much call functionality, just an hour or two a week would be more than sufficient for calls outside of wifi areas. I have never been big on texting either because I got over the days of instant messaging back in the early 2000's when I moved away from text rpgs.

Anyways so yeah. I am after cheap call services, meh data plan, but a good device to get things done with. I was looking at the Motorolla G LTE or whatever that is that has the expansion slot, but then realized it does not have an IR blaster....I was hoping I could use Tracphone because of the price, but might end up with AT&T go service.. Dunno!

Yeah so what do you all suggest?
    08-19-2014 03:47 AM
    If you want something that works with your TV, it's going to have an IR blaster like you said. As far as I know, only the flagships from LG, HTC, and Sammy have those. Probably Sony and some others as well, but you're not going to find them on "mid-range" devices like the Moto G, or near stock phones like the Moto X and Nexus 5.
    Any data plan should be fine since you don't use much. T-Mobile has a $30 plan at Walmart that may work for you. GoPhone and other AT&T MVNOs are also worth looking into since they have lower prices than the usual carrier plans.
    08-19-2014 05:23 PM