Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slashyou
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Contact Storage 5.4 GB and climbing- HELP

I have a 16gb Samsunga Galaxy S4 on At&T with a 32 GB SD Memory Card. I got a notification last night that i was dangerously close to having a full internal storage but decided sleep wins. Naturally I woke up and checked text messages, missed calls, etc, and realized I had nothing because my internal memory was so full that I couldn't receive this anymore.

Spent the day moving whatever I could over to the SD Card, clearing cache, and whatever else I could think of. Everytime I gained some ground and got some space cleared up only 30 minutes later I got the warning again.

After some research I found that my "contacts storage" was steadily increasing and is now over 5.4 GB and still climbing.

Went into my google account to make sure my contacts were synced up so that I could just hit clear data and start fresh, but realized only 32 of my 2000+ contacts were showing up. Tried to backup with Kies but froze at "contacts". Can't get into phone or contacts on the device, and in the messaging app the names aren't showing up to their associated numbers.

I'm running out of ideas and would like to at least back up my contacts somehow before doing a factory reset.

I'm able to mount the device with a USB cable but not sure if that's helpful at all.

Please help
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Contact Storage 5.4 GB and climbing- HELP

update- i'm now at 6.45 GB

It sounds like your contacts are set to the device rather than Google. You should go into your phone and see if you can change them to Google contacts.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

tried doing that but with the storage being so full i can't even get into the contacts app

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    It sounds like your contacts are set to the device rather than Google. You should go into your phone and see if you can change them to Google contacts.
    Export the contacts to the SD card and import them back to Google. Takes only minutes and saves doing it on a case by case basis.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

would love to but can't get into the contacts app to export it to anywhere.

CONTACTS APP WON'T OPEN so any solution about exporting to google or sd card or usb is impossible right now
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

up to 6.66 gb now. anyone?

Global Posts
    3,098 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

See if you can install another contact app, like Go. That may allow you to export your contacts.

If not, you may be in for a lot of typing. (It's probably easier to enter your contacts in Google Contacts than on the phone, and that assures that, once they sync to the phone, they'll be Google contacts.)

Connecting the phone to the computer may not help much, unless you can back up all your apps, copy the backup to the phone and uninstall everything you've installed (leave what came with the phone). That'll clear up enough memory that you should be able to export your contacts.

Wtf 2000 contacts? Lmao....Seriously if I had that many I would damn sure make it to where I didn't have to type due to error...

Quote Originally Posted by omgitzvaishali View Post
    up to 6.66 gb now. anyone?
    i know the thread is 2 days old but try to reboot it and open it and do it?
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    20,976 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

If you can go to Settings>apps>swipe over to all apps>scroll down to contacts>click on it>click clear cache, does that at least clear up enough to open the app?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Were you ever able to resolve this issue?