Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Where to start??

Hi, I am very new here. Just got my new HTC One M8 and its my first android phone. I have always been on the apple side with a jailbroken device. I've been doing some research about how customization features of the like of jailbreaking on the iPhone work on android. I'm excited to jump in but have no idea where to start. Help? Should I start with launchers? Should I root my device and install a custom ROM? can you run a specific launcher with any custom ROM? How bout themes and different icons? are they usually packaged together like on iOS? Thanks! Any help would be awesome!

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Where to start??

Welcome to AC and Android
    Android has more customization options out of the box than iOS does with Jailbreak. You don't need root access to install third party launchers or icon packs.
    My personal favorite is Nova launcher and I'm using the Moonshine Icon pack. It's $1(The pack. Nova is free), but you can find plenty that are free.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks! oh okay, so its encouraged to customize. if you load a custom rom can you also run custom launchers and icon packs or only the one included with the rom?

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by gkginger101 View Post
    oh okay, so its encouraged to customize. if you load a custom rom can you also run custom launchers and icon packs or only the one included with the rom?
    Yeah, you can do it on any ROM. There are no launchers that are ROM specific AFAIK.
    Customizing is half the fun 😊

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    4,373 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

There are plenty of stock android ROMs out there. To get a feel of how it would be, I would suggest using a launcher like Nova Launcher to see if you would like it.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yeah, you can do it on any ROM. There are no launchers that are ROM specific AFAIK.
    Customizing is half the fun 😊

Ok thanks! wasn't sure if it was one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    There are plenty of stock android ROMs out there. To get a feel of how it would be, I would suggest using a launcher like Nova Launcher to see if you would like it.
    Will do. I'm gonna start with just a launcher and work my way up.

Global Posts
    4,373 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by gkginger101 View Post
    Ok thanks! wasn't sure if it was one or the other.

Will do. I'm gonna start with just a launcher and work my way up.
    If you decide to root, let me know. PM me or email me at wizzrah@outlook.com. Whichever is fine for contact. I'll help you out.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    If you decide to root, let me know. PM me or email me at [email] Whichever is fine for contact. I'll help you out.
    Thanks I surely will!