Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Galaxy S3 Mini - SD Content Issue

Hi
    First post, but have done lots of searching first. My daughter (14) has a Galaxy S3 mini, which is is running andriod version 4.1.2. She has been slowly filling up the 16GB SD card with images (a little over 12,000) when a few weeks ago, the folder that contains these images disappeared from the gallery. The folder can be navigated to via My Files, but will not display on the gallery, and Media Scan takes only a few seconds. So I did lots of googling, and found the issue with nomedia files, which i then went through and removed (though none of them were in the card's root). I also moved half the files to my PC (to see if the number of files was the issue) and although that then made it appear, it only displayed around 900 images. We tried to unmount/remove/remount the card, check again for nomedia files and verify on the PC that files exist, but now, the card contents (images and music) refuse to display on the phone at all in gallery/music player, yet can still be browsed to via my Files?!
    Any ideas/suggestions? I've googled about as much as I can, and not being an android user myself, have had to reply on search results to help me so far, but I seem to have made it worse!
    Thanks in advance!
    Martin

Default Re: Galaxy S3 Mini - SD Content Issue

Sometimes if you create a new folder with a different name, and copy and paste the photos (if they're all in the same folder) to the new folder they'll show up. Otherwise, without knowing exactly what the problem is, it's hard to think (for me) of how to fix it, unfortunately.

Welcome to Android Central! I know it's too late to say this, but it isn't a great idea to save tons of photos (especially if they're very important) only on your SD card, without backing them up anywhere else. SD cards have a finite lifespan, and they can also fail. Samsung devices are also kind of notorious for various SD issues.

Unmount the card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and insert it into your computer using a fullsize SD adapter (very cheap to buy if you don't have one). If the computer can read anything, back up all of those files now. Then run chkdsk on it and see if there are any bad sectors; if so, see if it can recover any bad files. http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...d-sd-card.html

Once you have backed up all files, you may want to reformat the card, or consider using a completely different card.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 

Thanks. Can this be done on the PC? There are too many photos to copy/paste (insufficient space) so will have to move them.
    Thanks again
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! I know it's too late to say this, but it isn't a great idea to save tons of photos (especially if they're very important) only on your SD card, without backing them up anywhere else. SD cards have a finite lifespan, and they can also fail. Samsung devices are also kind of notorious for various SD issues.

Unmount the card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and insert it into your computer using a fullsize SD adapter (very cheap to buy if you don't have one). If the computer can read anything, back up all of those files now. Then run chkdsk on it and see if there are any bad sectors; if so, see if it can recover any bad files.

Once you have backed up all files, you may want to reformat the card, or consider using a completely different card.
    Thanks - I have backed them up (because I know she doesn't, and I back up and double back up all my stuff ), but hadn't checked the card for errors. I'll try that now, thanks.
    Martin

Seems like there was somethign else awry! My daughter installed and ran an app called Media Scanner (after additional earlier searches) and that seems to have resolved the issue completely. I'll back up the card anyway,but thanks for your replies, gives me something to think about should it happen again.
    Martin

Glad to hear she solved the problem! Media Scanner is actually a system app that scans all folders for media files like photos, videos, and music, and populates the proper databases on the device. Is this what she noticed? Or did she actually find a separate Media Scanner app on Google Play?

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.