Gmail sync problems

A

AC Question

Hi there everyone!
My name is Tatiana and I'm experiencing a frustrating - very frustrating - "bug" with the Gmail app. I will start by briefly saying that I browsed virtually all forums and have been reading help and info all day long and I finally understood where the problem resides. Have not found the solution though.

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S4, running Android 4.3 and the Gmail app version is 4.5.
aaand:

I do not receive the notification message for new e-mails unless I do one of the above:
- turn sync off and then on again
- clear data in Settings>Application manager>Gmail...
- restart phone

And I only receive such notification ONCE after doing any of the above procedures. If I send another test e-mail .... no notification comes unless I do one of the above steps again. This is basically like manually refreshing inbox it every X minutes...

I'm pretty sure (very sure) that everything that needs to be checked is checked, that all kinds of notifications are on, that auto sync is on, that blocking mode does not block anything, I have checked the Gmail account via web etc etc.

If anyone has a solution or a suggestion I'd be very glad and truly thankful.

Tatiana

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Pretty sure that you have tried this but best trying anything before a hard reset.
Set the notifications for every message in all your labels. Go to manage labels on every account and in every label.

anatatu

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
yes, tried that. I tried almost everything. And I have also done the master reset just yet, the problem seems to persist (however, I have not finished doing all settings, but first test was not successful).

Which leads me to ask: do you think it might be a hardware problem? Might the phone itself have a problem? Or only software problem?

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That's weird. It doesn't look like a hardware issue though . I imagine that the notifications are working fine with the rest of apps and It's just a problem with Gmail. If all the settings are OK maybe it's a conflict with some configuration of your account in other device (no idea which one, just a wild hunch 😃).
Sorry I can't help you. Good luck.

anatatu

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok, thanks all. Just wanted to tell you the latest: have been chating with Samsung Live Support tech: they have no idea; they suggested removing the account and then connecting it back on. Done that, not working. HOWEVER, it occured to me to try and see if Gmail syncs on the Samsung Tab Pro. It doesn't. So, it's might be a Google account or Google server problem. What annoys me the most is that I'm pretty sure that that's just a trick somewhere, a simple setting, a conflict of some kind as you said...

I'll resign 'coz I have a splitting headache and I'm on the verge of throwing the damn thing on the window.

Tatiana

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs