Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Google Play Music Data Issue

    As a Google Music All Access subscriber, love the fact that you can add music to your library and download that music onto your device (preferably, while on WiFi) so that you can play it back wherever/whenever you want and not incur data charges. At least that seems to be the concept.......

    So I downloaded an album via WiFi onto my M8 and I've been playing it back in a "non-WiFi" environment. Assuming the above is reality, I shouldn't be seeing any mobile data usage. Problem is I am.

    Am I missing something or is the app bugged?
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,696 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,952 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Google Play Music Data Issue

    Is it showing that the data was used in the foreground or the background? If it's the latter, then you can disable background data to prevent it from happening again. If it's foreground, then it might be a bug that caused it to use your data.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Google Play Music Data Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Is it showing that the data was used in the foreground or the background? If it's the latter, then you can disable background data to prevent it from happening again. If it's foreground, then it might be a bug that caused it to use your data.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    All background data.

    My point is, why have the feature to download locally to avoid streaming if you're just going to stream it anyways....?
  4. #4  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,696 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,952 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Google Play Music Data Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by specialsk View Post
    All background data.

    My point is, why have the feature to download locally to avoid streaming if you're just going to stream it anyways....?
    Yeah, if it's background it's possible that it was something other than the music streaming at the time. Could just be a coincidence that it happened at the same time, but I have had other apps use data out of nowhere and had to disable background data to stay under my data cap.
    In any case, even if it is a bug, disabling background data will prevent it from happening again.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default

    The background data was definitely streaming music. I use a general 1 mb per minute to gauge streaming music and my background data use correlated directly to that.

    So today I set the app to only stream over WiFi and after 30 minutes of use in a non WiFi environment, data management showed no mobile data use.

    In other words, the app isn't intelligent enough to figure out that you have the music locally and to not stream it.

    So will have to manually switch that setting back and forth as needed.
  6. #6  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,696 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,952 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: Google Play Music Data Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by specialsk View Post
    The background data was definitely streaming music. I use a general 1 mb per minute to gauge streaming music and my background data use correlated directly to that.

    So today I set the app to only stream over WiFi and after 30 minutes of use in a non WiFi environment, data management showed no mobile data use.

    In other words, the app isn't intelligent enough to figure out that you have the music locally and to not stream it.

    So will have to manually switch that setting back and forth as needed.
    I have a few songs pinned to my device and never had data usage issues. Are you sure you were on WiFi when you pinned the songs? It has to download them before they can be saved locally, which might explain the data usage.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Google Play Music Data Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I have a few songs pinned to my device and never had data usage issues. Are you sure you were on WiFi when you pinned the songs? It has to download them before they can be saved locally, which might explain the data usage.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    No, definitely downloaded them days before hand. Even had the music "downloaded only" switch set to try to eliminate that as a culprit.
  8. #8  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,696 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,952 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by specialsk View Post
    No, definitely downloaded them days before hand. Even had the music "downloaded only" switch set to try to eliminate that as a culprit.
    Not sure what else to tell you then. Sorry
    Just make sure to disable background data so it doesn't happen again.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 08:16 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 05:59 PM
  3. HTC One mini - Microphone Issue
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2014, 09:43 PM
  4. Downloading google music play on mac outside of US?
    By medellinpaisa in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2014, 09:24 PM
  5. Samsung Galaxy s tab security issue
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2014, 09:08 PM

Posting Permissions