Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Play Music Data Issue

As a Google Music All Access subscriber, love the fact that you can add music to your library and download that music onto your device (preferably, while on WiFi) so that you can play it back wherever/whenever you want and not incur data charges. At least that seems to be the concept.......

So I downloaded an album via WiFi onto my M8 and I've been playing it back in a "non-WiFi" environment. Assuming the above is reality, I shouldn't be seeing any mobile data usage. Problem is I am.

Am I missing something or is the app bugged?

Global Posts
    8,952 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Google Play Music Data Issue

Is it showing that the data was used in the foreground or the background? If it's the latter, then you can disable background data to prevent it from happening again. If it's foreground, then it might be a bug that caused it to use your data.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Is it showing that the data was used in the foreground or the background? If it's the latter, then you can disable background data to prevent it from happening again. If it's foreground, then it might be a bug that caused it to use your data.

All background data.

My point is, why have the feature to download locally to avoid streaming if you're just going to stream it anyways....?

Global Posts
    8,952 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by specialsk View Post
    All background data.

My point is, why have the feature to download locally to avoid streaming if you're just going to stream it anyways....?
    Yeah, if it's background it's possible that it was something other than the music streaming at the time. Could just be a coincidence that it happened at the same time, but I have had other apps use data out of nowhere and had to disable background data to stay under my data cap.
    In any case, even if it is a bug, disabling background data will prevent it from happening again.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

The background data was definitely streaming music. I use a general 1 mb per minute to gauge streaming music and my background data use correlated directly to that.

So today I set the app to only stream over WiFi and after 30 minutes of use in a non WiFi environment, data management showed no mobile data use.

In other words, the app isn't intelligent enough to figure out that you have the music locally and to not stream it.

So will have to manually switch that setting back and forth as needed.

Global Posts
    8,952 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

The background data was definitely streaming music. I use a general 1 mb per minute to gauge streaming music and my background data use correlated directly to that.

So today I set the app to only stream over WiFi and after 30 minutes of use in a non WiFi environment, data management showed no mobile data use.

In other words, the app isn't intelligent enough to figure out that you have the music locally and to not stream it.

So will have to manually switch that setting back and forth as needed.
    I have a few songs pinned to my device and never had data usage issues. Are you sure you were on WiFi when you pinned the songs? It has to download them before they can be saved locally, which might explain the data usage.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I have a few songs pinned to my device and never had data usage issues. Are you sure you were on WiFi when you pinned the songs? It has to download them before they can be saved locally, which might explain the data usage.

No, definitely downloaded them days before hand. Even had the music "downloaded only" switch set to try to eliminate that as a culprit.

Global Posts
    8,952 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

No, definitely downloaded them days before hand. Even had the music "downloaded only" switch set to try to eliminate that as a culprit.
    Not sure what else to tell you then. Sorry
    Just make sure to disable background data so it doesn't happen again.