GS5 s-view flip case turned out to be chinese copy, problems with app that won't uninstall

A

AC Question

Recently got my GS5 and love it (wife got one too). We both wanted the s-view flip case (non wireless charging) and so I bought us both one from ebay. They were advertised as OEM samsung. So we get them and put them on, the instructions stated to install this certain app so we did. Well the functions of the view window barely work, which led me to do more research, which led to me finding out that our cases do not have the 2 pins/chip on the back and they are not OEM samsung. So now I am returning both to the seller for refunds and buying real cases.

The problem is that aftermarket app we had to install. We are finding it impossible to uninstall it! In settings ----> applications ----> manager, the app shows up but ALL of the boxes are grayed out and unresponsive. Can't force stop, can't uninstall, nothing. Also tried manually finding the app in the tray and dragging it into the "uninstall" icon at the top, and nothing happens. It remains in the app tray. One of the problems is that it tries to put the phone into s-view mode even when the cover is open...it's generally buggy.

Worse, today it seems like it was trying to download and install some random chinese apps on our phones today.

Short of doing two factory resets and setting up both phones from scratch again, is there any way to get this BS chinese app off? I even tried to plug the phone into the computer and browse into the directories to find the app data and delete it that way, but couldn't find anything related to it.

Any advice?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Security>Device Administrators, and see if that app is listed there. If so, uncheck it. Now go back and try to uninstall again.

rotaryresurrection

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I am the thread starter, just got registered.

B. Diddy, thank you so much for your suggestion. That worked perfectly. I was able to go and uninstall the app immediately. I appreciate your help and this forum being here.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
In the future, before doing anything major (like installing a questionable app (one that hasn't been talked about as being good by a lot of people), do a full backup of the phone - both apps and data. That'll make it easier to restore if you have to wipe it. (If you have a custom recovery just do a nandroid backup. That'll restore the entire phone in one shot.)

aldunn12

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, there's no files listed in my device administrator. I've messaged the eBay seller to ask for the original instructions that were sent back then. Hopefully he'll be able to get back to me soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie