Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Angry Transfering files

I have a Nextbook 8 Tablet. I use it more as a reader.

It came with Android 4.2.2 Jellybean. I was able to transfer files between
    my laptop and it just fine.

I updated to Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Now I cannot transfer any files between tablet and laptop
    at all.

Upon connecting tablet and laptop via USB cable laptop opens file explorer
    while tablet displays "Turn on USB Storage" screen.

You turn on USB storage then file explorer on the laptop begins reading
    the tablet. Then nothing happens!

The laptop says USB driver didn't install correctly while the tablet
    never fully enters USB storage mode (the cursor continues to circle as if it is trying).

Since I got the tablet rather cheaply for reading I don't want to take it back (it still has a lot of stuff on it).

Has there been a lot of problems such as this with 4.4.2? I there a way to go back to 4.2.2?

Please advise as this has caused me a lot of anxiety. If I'm having this much problem
    from this tablet would I have even more problems from another maker?

Whether I get another tablet or swear off tablets for good rides on this answer!

Default Re: Transfering files

Welcome to Android Central! I wouldn't let your experience with Nextbook cloud your overall opinion of Android or tablets in general. Nextbook is a budget line, and is more likely to have problems with firmware and/or hardware. You are much less likely to have issues like this with devices from higher quality manufacturers like Google, Asus, Samsung, Acer, and Lenovo.

Have you tried contacting Nextbook support? :: Welcome to NextBookUSA.com ::

Another thing--did this just start happening after the August slew of Windows Updates? Microsoft messed up and sent out erroneous device drivers. It made my PC start recognizing my Nexus 5 as an "Acer ADB Device." This is how I had to solve it: Nexus 5 connecting via USB as wrong device

16,223 Posts
    Global Posts
    16,225 Global Posts
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

That's one reason I keep Windows Updates disabled. It seems to update with new bugs, while the "security fixes" only last a few days, until someone figures out an exploit to the update. So far, in 40 years of having a computer connected to the world (granted, 40 years ago no one was thinking of writing malware - we were too busy trying to get these things to just work), I've had 3 instances of malware: one sent out in an update disk by Netware, one brought home from the office (a bank, yet) by my wife on a floppy and one I actually got online somehow. One actual virus in 40 years isn't worth the headache of having Microsoft constantly destroying my operating system.