Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default water caused black screen

Any advice? My cell took a dive with me me, and after putting in a bag of rice, I get a blue light but a black screen. I have an LG Lucid2 I'm trying to get my photos from it. Any tips??? I've plugged it in with a usb cord, but the computer does not "see" it ;(

Default Re: water caused black screen

It may be too late to save your phone, but read this:

http://androidforums.com/faqs/815124...-try-save.html

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    5,829 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

As the original author of that post, I'd slightly modify belodion's answer. It's almost definitely too late to save the phone. A few hours in rice, if the water's not almost pure H2O, is too late. (Pure H2O doesn't even conduct electricity, so it's not really a problem.) The impurities have to be washed out immediately. (If your pants fall down as your phone hits the water, remove the phone battery and get the phone into alcohol before you pull your pants up. That "immediately". Some of those impurities soak into the motherboard and etch the copper whenever the humidity gets above a few percent. Others leave conductive traces that cause shorts. If the battery stays in the phone a few minutes, it's a big problem. If you turn the phone on when it's wet, you can just about kiss it goodbye.)

Update: Thanks for your replies. I had already "incorrectly" done the rice trick, but didn't know about the alcohol dip so maybe I'll do that next... ? So far I feel like there is hope for retrieving my photos because when I plug it in, there is a black screen but I can hear when I receive text messages. Also, the "command" lights on the very bottom of the cell so light up. Given that new info, any other tips?
    So far this is what I've done:
    Cell was underwater, in a pool, for at least 20 minutes before I realized I had it on me.
    I removed battery and let it dry on lawn chair.
    Got home, let both phone & battery sit in uncooked rice overnight
    Replaced battery
    Charged it.
    After an hour I plugged into computer with usb
    Computer didn't see/recognize it.
    Put back in rice bag.
    Plugged it in to charge, overnight
    Next day, tested it by sending myself a text, it does receieve & make text message sound.

What now?
    Thinking of doing the alcohol trick...