Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Radek Migula
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Google voice typing in messaging always defaults to English

OnePlus One
    Android version
    CyanogenMod version
    11.0-XNPH300

This is my issue:
    - open Google messaging app
    - click the microphone icon (to the left of the space bar)
    - language indication above the circle with the red microphone displays "Default: English (US) - 1 additional"
    - click on the language indication bar
    - language menu comes up titled "Current language settings" displaying English (US) and Polski (Polska)
    - click on Polski (Polska)
    - the language indication above still displays "Default: English (US) - 1 additional"

I can't choose a different language to dictate a text message. What am I doing wrong?
    Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Google voice typing in messaging always defaults to English

Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Language & Input, and see if there is a "Google voice typing" selection under Keyboard & Input Methods. Tap the setting icon next to it, and tap Languages. Then pick Polski. Hopefully that works.
    UJ95x likes this.

Polski is picked there already and it displays on the drop down list above the circle with the mic. But when chosen it defaults to English.

Are you connected to the web when you're Voice Typing? If not, then you have to make sure you have Polish downloaded for offline speech recognition. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that there is a Polish offline language package to download, so make sure you're connected to the web via mobile data or wi-fi when you dictate.

The other thing to make sure is when you're in the Google Voice Typing settings, select Languages, and press and hold Polski to make it the default.

EDIT: I just tested this out on my phone, and pressing and holding Polski is the correct thing to do in the Google Voice Typing settings. That will make Polski the default dictation language. I don't know why you can't just choose the language on the fly from the actual dictation screen--might be a bug. But anyway, the above should work for you.

If I make Polski default then I can't choose English on the fly from the drop down menu.
    It is listed there and you can click on it but it will not be selected.

I'm leaning towards that its a bug.

Thank you for the help on this.

I think you're right. Report it to Google. Go back to that Google Voice Typing settings menu, tap the Menu button, then Help & Feedback. On the next screen, tap on the Send Feedback button at the bottom, and let them know!

I did just that :-)
    B. Diddy likes this.