Need Advice on ROM Replacement Dell Venue 7

A

AC Question

I have a Dell Venue 7 running Kit Kat 4.4.2. Often, apps that previously ran smoothly on this device will fail after the app is updated. Most recent failure is the Facebook Messenger app. When first released, the app worked fine but, the recent update to 10.0.0.17.14 fails. I receive an error message reporting that Unfortunately Messenger has Failed...or, words to that effect.

I've been a Windows desktop user for a lot of years but Android is new to me and I'm at a loss. I'm uncertain if Dell's version of Kit Kat is flawed or if Messenger's latest release changed something that now renders it incompatible with the Dell tablet. I tend to believe that Dell is responsible because until the update to 4.4.2, I could run the Feedly app without any difficulty. Now, Feedly, even after it has been updated several times, still will not run on my tablet without causing display problems and eventually crashing. A trip back to Dell resulted in nothing found and no repairs were made. They simply returned the tablet with a note that no problems were found.

After reading about custom ROMS (Cyanogen in particular) I'm wondering if I should risk bricking the tablet with the hope of make it more versatile!?

So, I'm up for some advice as well as instruction on how to go about saving the existing 4.4.2 Dell configuration while installing Cyanogen - which seems to be the most popular of available custom ROMs. Are there any step-by-step tutorials available that I can follow to accomplish the change without damaging the tablet?

Thanks - Gene