Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default FM Radio (real over the air fine-tunning FM radio)

Hello,
    I'm starting this thread for all the people, who, like me, have looked and never found a real FM radio Player. Let me explain : I'm looking for app that is a pure FM radio player, that it uses over the air transmission, with the phone's headsets, it is able to fine-tunning, noise-clearing the radio you want to listen, better than the pre-installed one. No paid-, or Spirit1 app-like ( that requiers you to be a fan of android software), no streaming via internet radio ( they are a few millions apps like that on google-store). I have a Samsung GT-I8160.
    Thank you for your thoughts,
    Last edited by Mihai Ceuca; 08-23-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Default Re: FM Radio (real over the air fine-tunning FM radio)

I think your phone has to have a built-in tuner. Otherwise, you might have to buy equipment that plugs into the MicroUSB slot.

Global Posts
    4,320 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

No app can play all the stations in your location (and all the stations in everyone else's location) without having a tunable receiver in each location for each person connected to the app's server. The concept just isn't practically possible. (It would need tens of thousands of receivers, minimum, maybe even into the millions. Bill Gates would probably have trouble finding enough money to fund a project like that. The receivers would have to be located locally to the area [FM signals don't travel far], so renting office space about every 25 miles, completely across the country, would cost a large fortune, before even buying receivers, setting up servers, etc.)

Any "live from where you are" app, FM radio, TV, police scanners, etc., can't work for the same reason - not enough money. Even your cable company can't carry every single TV station in the US live.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hello, thank for your answer. Yes, it has a built-in tuner. But it is a basic outdated one. I mean, the length of the headsets is bigger then my normal radio's antenna, so should have better reception. But while my house radio plays the local radio ok, on the phone I still get buzzes and no clear reception. So, there are no apps that use the built-in fm receiver to give you quality radio?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hello, thank you for replying. It has built-in fm receiver and a standard app. But for greater quality, I'm looking for an app that gives the same quality on listening to the local radio as your normal radio in the house that you tune in manually.

Of course you should get all or many of the stations in your area if your fm radio is made for the fm freq band in your country. There are different bands in different countries, so expect that your fm band in America won't be the same in Africa or Japan. The headset cord is an antenna roughly equal to the length of a quarter of a wave-length - not optimum, but close enough. The antenna is the most common cause of poor reception, so try a few different headsets. I think the odds are that a new app is not going to improve your reception. Your phone will not likely be as good a radio as one made specifically for that purpose. Just sayin,..