Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Another SD card gone bad

My SD card has started acting weird, going back and forth being able to read whats stored on it etc, so I think its on the way out. I think in about 3 or 4 years, this is is the 3rd or 4th SD card Ive gone through over about 2-3 phones. Is this normal? First I thought it was because I had gotten some 'no-name' brands. But this last one is a Samsung class 10 64GB card that is in my Note 3. Some people have told me because I use it alot(store pics, podcasts and I save tv shows to watch etc) that it basically wears down faster because its not a true hard drive(compared to saving to the phones hardrive) Does this make sense? It just seems kind of frustrating they go bad so fast when their job is to store things :-) I'm just tired of having them go bad and having to replace them so frequently.

Global Posts
    10,916 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Another SD card gone bad

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore6802 View Post
    My SD card has started acting weird, going back and forth being able to read whats stored on it etc, so I think its on the way out. I think in about 3 or 4 years, this is is the 3rd or 4th SD card Ive gone through over about 2-3 phones. Is this normal? First I thought it was because I had gotten some 'no-name' brands. But this last one is a Samsung class 10 64GB card that is in my Note 3. Some people have told me because I use it alot(store pics, podcasts and I save tv shows to watch etc) that it basically wears down faster because its not a true hard drive(compared to saving to the phones hardrive) Does this make sense? It just seems kind of frustrating they go bad so fast when their job is to store things :-) I'm just tired of having them go bad and having to replace them so frequently.
    Reading/writing to the sd card definitely would have an effect on it over the long term. However, I think that having so many go bad within that period of time is a bit unusual. Have you always used Samsung SD Cards or have you had others, such as SanDisk?

To be safe, I would recommend saving important files/photos on a backup device or storing in the Cloud. Also, make sure to properly unmount the SD Card whenever it's removed from the device to prevent further damage.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ive had a mixture of brands, thats why after the last one crapped out, we figured to go with a samsung. Its also been over different phone models as well.

Global Posts
    14,570 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

SD cards, even the best ones, have a limited number of write cycles. If you're constantly writing to the card, that "uses it up" faster. Don't use it for data storage for an app that's constantly writing new data.

As far as card quality, there are two companies that make the chips in those cards - Samsung and SanDisk. Their cards are about the best. (SanDisk has the fastest one now, and I find the company easier to deal with than Samsung, but Samsung cards are good too.) As far as any other, even known, brand - they use whatever chips they can get. That means that most of their cards (the name brand ones, at least) are usually pretty good, but they can produce a batch of cards with bad chips, and their willingness to replace the card varies. (SanDisk accepts responsibility if their card fails.)

An average of a card a year, though? Either you're doing a lot of writing to your cards, or there's something wrong with your phone.

And,m as srkmagnus says, if the file is important enough to have, it's important enough to back up. (Hard drives are cheap and cloud storage is free.)
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the feedback. So it does seem to be that heavy use will wear them down faster. I guess thats most likely my problem, I'm saving and deleting podcasts to the cards as well as some tv shows and any pictures I have on the phone. I did start doing more backups after the last one so no data was lost, but just not understanding how wearing the higher usage was, wasnt expecting them to go bad that quickly. Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback!

I no longer trust SD cards for important files. My experience is similar to yours, Eeyore. So far I've had four fail unrecoverably, two were definitely being used in BlackBerry phones (Bold 9000 and Bold 9500) and the third in my Asus tablet (TF201); I don't recall the circumstances of the fourth.

I've been into photography for many years and have seen numerous posts on photo forums about fried SD cards, usually when someone has pulled the SD card out of the switched on camera or from a computer without properly ejecting it. So I always ensure the card is ejected or device is off (the BlackBerrys had to have the battery out just to get to the card). And yet -- four failures.

Now I have a 32GB Nexus 5. No SD card. Good; one less thing to worry about. On those rare occasions where I might want to watch a large video file on a dinky little smartphone screen, I use a Meenova microSD card adapter along with the Nexus Media Importer app.

EDIT: I should have added, they were never el cheapo SD or microSD cards either. They were always name brands for example SanDisk, purchased from reputable stores so I knew I was getting the genuine article.