Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark Leach
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default S3 owner died - procedure for relatives to unlock

Hi - a friend with an s3 passed away recently and her family can't get to her contacts, to tell them of her passing, and precious family photos. I'm not looking for a crack, just the procedure for them to follow to get it remotely unlocked. They don't want to take it to anyone who might reset it and lose all the data.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: S3 owner died - procedure for relatives to unlock

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    Hi - a friend with an s3 passed away recently and her family can't get to her contacts, to tell them of her passing, and precious family photos. I'm not looking for a crack, just the procedure for them to follow to get it remotely unlocked. They don't want to take it to anyone who might reset it and lose all the data.

Thanks in advance.
    Is the phone rooted?

Root? I have no idea. Im just looking for the procedure for them. They can't get past the pin on the screenlock

Hello. Sorry to hear that. Do you think you could get access to her gmail account, or consider contacting Google. The contacts are normally synced to the gmail account and are visible via the inbox on a pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Hello. Sorry to hear that. Do you think you could get access to her gmail account, or consider contacting Google. The contacts are normally synced to the gmail account and are visible via the inbox on a pc.
    Unfortunately they have no idea whether she even had a gmail account. I suppose it might be worth contacting google for the contacts though. Thanks. Any idea what department to contact at Samsung for a remote unlock?

2nd thoughts only contacts synced to Google will appear. There may be some stored on the device, the sim, a Samsung account or a cloud account. Better to figure the lock.
    Still, if you had the Google password you could get Google's Android Device Manager to set a new lock and pin and it would open.
    Was it a pattern, or a code.
    If you ask around and cannot get help to figure the Gmail password, try to log in and then ask for help on the site.
    I am sure there must be a procedure they have for this.

Hopefully someone here can offer more -----

It was a code. Her daughters are fearful of trying random numbers as it would lock it altogether.

You won't wipe anything by trying too many times, but it will stop your attempts for 30 seconds.
    Samsung uses the Android operating system by Google and normally you would need to set up a Google account to download apps etc. If you could find her Gmail address that would be a start. - - - - @gmail.com

You would still need her Samsung account for their location service.
    There is a Google remote lock, locate and erase service, and Samsung and Anti Virus programmes have their own version with varying features. I do know that Samsung have Google's ADM installed by default, as well as their own system which varies by country. It is possible the lady switched off one, but let's assume the Google ADM is enabled. The phone would need to be on and connected to data, either mobile or wifi. With access you could override the existing lock with a new lock and pin.

Yes you could ask Samsung Customer service for advice, as well as Google.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/

I am hoping someone with more direct experience or knowledge will chip in. If this gets overlooked could you please ask on another of Android Central's forums.
    Android Central Community - 'General help and How To' , and also 'Introductions' are monitored by clever people.

ADDED : sorry for the constant editing. I have another Samsung model. You can enter more than 4 digits, and of course you can try 0000 or 1234 etc. If it was a password rafher than a code you might have better luck with a favourite name etc.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks a lot - I'll pass on the info - and at least they can try birthdays etc without having to worry. And also try the gmail option. Thanks very much.
    Madd54 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Leach View Post
    Thanks a lot - I'll pass on the info - and at least they can try birthdays etc without having to worry. And also try the gmail option. Thanks very much.
    Come back and try another thread if you are still stuck. And check back here. There are more experienced people here. I know if a screen goes blank or a phone gets water damaged you cannot access the photo files on a pc via usb if the phone is locked. Regards.

Thanked by:

One other thought. If the lady had a pc or mac that could be accessed, Samsung Kies is s syncing and back up software program. She may have regularly connected to it via usb or wifi. The program would not have any lock on the pc.
    I guess she was mostly a phone person or her daughters would have tried.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    22,222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

If the Gmail was linked to another email client, you could get access that way, if you have the passwords for that.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

If the pictures were on the sd card then you can take the card and put it into a sd card reader on the computer

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

You won't wipe anything by trying too many times, but it will stop your attempts for 30 seconds.
    Samsung uses the Android operating system by Google and normally you would need to set up a Google account to download apps etc. If you could find her Gmail address that would be a start. - - - - @gmail.com

There is a Google remote lock, locate and erase service, and Samsung and Anti Virus programmes have their own version with varying features. I do know that Samsung have Google's ADM installed by default, as well as their own system which varies by country. It is possible the lady switched off one, but let's assume the Google ADM is enabled. The phone would need to be on and connected to data, either mobile or wifi. With access you could override the existing lock with a new lock and pin.

I am hoping someone with more direct experience or knowledge will chip in. If this gets overlooked could you please ask on another of Android Central's forums.
    Android Central Community - 'General help and How To' , and also 'Introductions' are monitored by clever people.

ADDED : sorry for the constant editing. I have another Samsung model. You can enter more than 4 digits, and of course you can try 0000 or 1234 etc. If it was a password rafher than a code you might have better luck with a favourite name etc.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/24/dymu6evy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/24/pu5a7a3e.jpg
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/24/ajuqy7yn.jpg

Why did you blur the lock screen I hate censorship

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Leach View Post
    If she had it rooted they will be able to take that out in recovery so if you knew/they knew if it was you can access android in there and get it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/24/dymu6evy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/24/pu5a7a3e.jpg
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/24/ajuqy7yn.jpg

she may have used apks

I prefer to leave most replies to more experienced ambassadors.
    I assessed the OP's situation and response and decided he needed more help.
    If you have any grievances please take it up with a moderator. Thank you.