Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Trouble rooting and unlocking the SIM of my GalaxyS4 19505

Hello,

I just moved back to the US from France where I have happily been using my S4 for the past 6 months or so. I bought the phone through my french carrier, SFR. I would like to keep using the phone over here but obviously with a US carrier (Verizon, T-mobile...).

Here are my phone details:

Galaxy S4 GT19505

I have tried the SIM unlock using the *#0011# but I cannot access the debug screen. When I hit Key Input - 1, nothing happens. Just for fun I tried many other Key Inputs (0 - 9) but nothing happened. So, I thought that maybe I need to root the phone to get more access, in case SFR was blocking something (like a specific command line). I have tried to root the phone using motochopper (from multiple links following different tutorials) with my Mac (OS X 10.9.4). I get the SuperUser installed but the Titanium Backup says that I do not have full root access. Very frustrating.

Should I try to root using a Windows based machine? Will this make any difference to the SIM unlock? I know that SFR is supposed to give me the unlock code if I have been with them for longer than 3 months, but I am worried that it may not work since I am not in France, and thus not on the SFR network.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

--a noob (but I really shouldn't be).