Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Exclamation 3.5mm jack plug-in from HTC One X+ barely working

Hey all,

My problem is that when I plug-in any headphone with the regular 3.5mm jack it barely works. Sometimes he doesn't recognize the jack at all and it randomly stops. I've had this problem for about 2 months now. A short timeline of how and what:

Phone bought on May 6th 2013. I use the phone daily with my HTC earphones.
    June 2013 Earphones broke and are replaced by Sennheiser CX300II.
    December 2013 Sometimes the headphones start crackling a bit and sound goes a away for a second. Also the headphone is recognized as a headphone when plugged it but sometimes changes to headset and starts calling people. The CX300II doesn't even have a mic.
    February 2014 Only one earphone works anymore, still have the crackling etc.
    March to june 2014 the problems get worse and the music disappearing keeps coming up, more often recognized as a headset etc.
    June 2014 Finally decide to send away my beloved Sennheisers CX300II for repair (even though Sennheiser doesn't bother looking at them and always replaces them).
    July 2014 Replacement CX300II have two working earphones instead of one and the crackling and sound disappearing happens less often.
    August 2014 When listening to music it goes into headset mode a lot and often stops the music and the plug-in doesn't recognize the earphones until I plug them out and back in.

I've done quite a lot of research based on my symptoms but can barely find anything. How can I solve this annoying issue? Can I try to clean the jack without damaging anything? If I have to send my phone for repair, for how long will it be gone?

Thanks for the help.

Default Re: 3.5mm jack plug-in from HTC One X+ barely working

Welcome to Android Central! You can try cleaning it out using a damp toothpick to root around (for any large debris), or a can of compressed air to blow it out. If you use a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol make sure the swab tip doesn't fray, because then you might introduce more debris than you clean out. If it's completely clean and the problems keep occurring, then it's likely a hardware problem with the jack.