Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Issues with a manufactured refurbished LG VS920

I have a manufactured refurbished LG vs920. It was activated last night on Veizon prepaid. Prior to the activation I could not get it past the select language screen because it had no sim card inserted. After it was activated last night I noticed two issues. The first is the WiFi. It will not turn on. I click on the on/off button and it says that it is connecting but never turns on. We have WiFi at the house and we have done everything other forums have said, including having the SSID show. Nothing is working. I need the WiFi to work at home at the very least.

The second issue is the camera. The camera will not connect. It gives an error message saying the camera can not be accessed. I tried a different camera app and it was a no go as well. The final thing I tried, just to check the flash or attempt to check the camera at all, was a flashlight app. The app started and said that another app was using the camera. I've tried to figure out which one but can't. There are a ton of apps preloaded on the phone with seemingly no way to remove them. They aren't listed in the app settings so I can't remove them from there. I hold down my finger on the app and move it to remove and that doesn't work either. Any suggesstions? I'm sure it is an app that is using the camera and I'm pretty sure its a bloatware app.

Also, if it helps I'm running android 4.0.4 on the phone. It came with that installed. I did do an update to the phone but it didn't help either the Wifi issue or the camera issue. My husband was debating rooting the phone but neither of us are sure how to do it, if it would work, or where to start. Another questions (sorry) is my husband thinks the phone may work if we can roll back the OS to what it originally came with, which was gingerbread, instead of 4.0.4 which we understood to be an update during refurbishment. Is this possible?

I know this was long, but I wanted to make sure all the issues were out there so hopefully someone can help. Also, could these issues be in a fix somewhere that we haven't found? A download fix of some kind? If there is a fix we could download, that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    13,574 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Issues with a manufactured refurbished LG VS920

If you haven't already done so, perform a factory reset. That should solve the issues you are having.

Go into system settings > security > factory reset. Get setup again and try to connect WiFi and use the camera. Also, consider a reset of the router before trying to reconnect.

Let us know how it goes.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

After I posted this morning, we tried the factory reset and we tried the reset on the router. The problems were still there. We are trying another factory reset again. I don't recall seeing the option in the initial setup for wifi, so we are trying that one more time. The router reset didn't help at all. The problem with the wifi is that it isn't turning on at all so no connection is even happening. I hit the wifi on/off switch and it just says that wifi is turning on and it never does. It sits at that message for a bit then just gives up...for lack of a better term.
    We will try another reset and see what happens. We are also looking for a possible downloadabe fix from LG or something along those lines. Any other ideas would be great. I really appreciate the help and will keep you posted.

UPDATE: My husband did some looking around on the phone to attempt to fix the camera and wi-fi issues. He noticed a couple things. The camera appears in the cached process twice and neither can be stopped. Not sure if this is indicative of the problem. With the Wi-Fi there is only one named Access Point for VZW. If there needs to be another one listed for Wi-Fi there is a manual input, just not sure what to put in.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Here is where we stand right now. The wifi still won't turn on. It is still stuck even after factory resets. My husband did some looking around on the phone to attempt to fix the camera and wi-fi issues. He noticed a couple things. The camera appears in the cached process twice and neither can be stopped. Not sure if this is indicative of the problem. With the Wi-Fi there is only one named Access Point for VZW. If there needs to be another one listed for Wi-Fi there is a manual input, just not sure what to put in.

As for the camera, we still don't know what the issue is for sure. We are fairly certain the camera works, but an app is accessing it and we have no idea which one or how to stop it. If you go into apps on the settings, no apps are listed. We aren't sure if updating all the apps would fix this. We would rather not do that until we can get the wifi sorted

Hi Meg. Sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues with your VS920. The fact that both WiFi and camera isn't working sounds like this could be a hardware issue. We recommend you taking it back to VZ for a warranty exchange or call our service center at 800-796-8896. ^DT

Quote Originally Posted by Meg Ashfield View Post
    I have a manufactured refurbished LG vs920. It was activated last night on Veizon prepaid. Prior to the activation I could not get it past the select language screen because it had no sim card inserted. After it was activated last night I noticed two issues. The first is the WiFi. It will not turn on. I click on the on/off button and it says that it is connecting but never turns on. We have WiFi at the house and we have done everything other forums have said, including having the SSID show. Nothing is working. I need the WiFi to work at home at the very least.

The second issue is the camera. The camera will not connect. It gives an error message saying the camera can not be accessed. I tried a different camera app and it was a no go as well. The final thing I tried, just to check the flash or attempt to check the camera at all, was a flashlight app. The app started and said that another app was using the camera. I've tried to figure out which one but can't. There are a ton of apps preloaded on the phone with seemingly no way to remove them. They aren't listed in the app settings so I can't remove them from there. I hold down my finger on the app and move it to remove and that doesn't work either. Any suggesstions? I'm sure it is an app that is using the camera and I'm pretty sure its a bloatware app.

Also, if it helps I'm running android 4.0.4 on the phone. It came with that installed. I did do an update to the phone but it didn't help either the Wifi issue or the camera issue. My husband was debating rooting the phone but neither of us are sure how to do it, if it would work, or where to start. Another questions (sorry) is my husband thinks the phone may work if we can roll back the OS to what it originally came with, which was gingerbread, instead of 4.0.4 which we understood to be an update during refurbishment. Is this possible?

I know this was long, but I wanted to make sure all the issues were out there so hopefully someone can help. Also, could these issues be in a fix somewhere that we haven't found? A download fix of some kind? If there is a fix we could download, that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.