Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default Isit safe to take out my sd card from my samsung s4 & format it on p.c then put it back

All I want to know is , the sd card I have in my phone is 32gb , I want to know is it ok to format it on my pc then put it back into my s4 galaxy and will it work ok as extra memory for me on my phone as I would not want to format my sd card if I was not able to work with it on my phone or store apps etc on it ,.

Default Re: Isit safe to take out my sd card from my samsung s4 & format it on p.c then put it back

So is the microSD card that is currently in your phone not being recognized? The cards that come with the phone are typically already formatted and ready for use. What do you see if you go to Settings>Storage? Is there a section for "External SD card"?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default Re: Isit safe to take out my sd card from my samsung s4 & format it on p.c then put it back

yes there is a section to erase files and unmounts card ty buddy. Also just a quick question I have a 32gb micro sd card and from whatI am told coz its exfat any movies I put in that go over like 4gb wont play and that's been happening , I tried formatting it with FAT32 on my pc but when I put it in , it was saying damaged do you want to format it , I cant understand with having a 32gb micro sd card and converting movies to mp4 , It only plays like 3 movies and wont play the rest and I even tried the ones it wouldn't play on their own , I formatted it and the one it wasn't playing it played fine , Do you think I should get 64gb card as I hear they come already formatted as exfat , what do you think bud.

The 4 GB filesize limit is for FAT32. exFAT, for all intents and purposes, doesn't have a max filesize. So you should try formatting the SD card to exFAT (or, as you mentioned, using an SD card that comes formatted in exFAT already). Not all devices can read exFAT, but I believe the S4 does support it.

I've seen quite a number of complaints on these forums about difficulties with playing videos from SD cards on Samsung devices (along with a number of other various SD problems). I'm not sure if there have been any consistent solutions to this.